View Vacancy - Corporate Services Assistant - Finance
The British Embassy in Baghdad is seeking an individual for the position of Corporate Services Assistant - Finance, Grade – AO.
Main purpose of job:
Working closely with the Finance Manager, the job holder will deliver the full range of financial duties for the Iraq network. The role sits with the Iraq Network Corporate Services team based in Baghdad. The job holder will provide operational support to the Finance Manager and Corporate Services Manager to prepare the monthly budgets and forecasts to ensure effective financial management of the Iraq network budget.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for processing the monthly payroll for the Iraq network including the British Embassy in Baghdad and the British Consulate General in Erbil.
- Monthly reconciliation of the cash accounts, ensuring data entry is accurate on the monthly return, vouchers are properly presented and spend reconciled. Adequate financial records will be retained.
- Responsible for managing the main Embassy cashbox, coordinating with imprest holders, reviewing their receipts/invoices, reconciliation and replenishing on a monthly basis.
- Monitor Commercial Rates of Exchange (ROE) and maintain records of rates to ensure regular significant variances are reported to London for action.
- Build strong working relationships with the Finance Hub and Finance colleagues in London and Manila. Respond quickly and meet deadlines consistently.
- Manage the Embassy bank account in line with FCDO’s financial policy, procedures and audit controls as well as the Corporate Services charter. Responsible for maintaining the various system hierarchies and ensuring the approving systems up to date for speedy processing of payments.
- Prepare new draft letters for signature as staff change liaising with the Embassy’s Bank to ensure relevant signatures are collected.
- Manage the Embassy cheque book stock, participating in the monthly surprise check on stocks.
- Provide support and where relevant lead on dealing with any urgent finance related requests.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to ensure that the Iraq Networks monthly compliance ratings are maintained or improved.
- Frequent engagement with corporate services and embassy colleagues to ensure that FCDO good practice is followed in particular in reconciling credit card expenses in a timely manner.
- Managing the Embassy country based staff medical scheme, checking claims, translating receipts and passing to the Finance Manager and Corporate Services Manager for approval when they are compliant.
- Managing a quality service – Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Delivering at pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
- Making effective decisions – Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
- Communicating and influencing - Communicate purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respect the needs, responses and opinions of others.
- Fluent communication skills in English and Arabic language (both spoken and written).
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience in an accounting field;
- Holds a formal accounting qualification or relevant degree level education;
- Excellent numeric skills and MS Excel skills to deal with the large budget numbers;
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to organise and prioritise workload, organise records and meet deadlines whilst paying close attention to detail and without compromising the quality of work.
- Flexible, resilient, decisive and calm under pressure. Ability to understand competing priorities and make judgement calls on when to use own initiative and when to consult with managers;
- Strong problem solving skills. Ability to anticipate and take initiative.
- Excellent customer service skills. Courteous and considerate when dealing with internal and external stakeholders. Able to show discretion in handling sensitive matters.
- A confident communicator with excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and spoken. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach to colleagues and stakeholders. Proven ability to engage at all levels internally and externally.
- Very good level of IT skills and proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Familiarity with UK government accounting processes, systems and policies.
- Familiarity with Oracle based applications.
- Previous accounting work experience in either the public or private sector.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as:
- We can obtain the appropriate level of local and UK security clearance for you.
- You have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Iraq. Candidate's residence permit and work permit, and the expense to obtain them, will be their own responsibility – the Embassy does not provide residence or work permits. If you have any questions about residency and/or visa requirements, you should contact the relevant Iraqi Government Ministry.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including up to 20 days of annual leave.
The role grade is AO grade, with a base salary of US$ 1,646 per month. This base salary is paid 13 times a year. In addition, there is a security allowance of US$300 per month payable as part of this package. The allowance is subject to review and may be altered or withdrawn at any time. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is offered on a Full Time, Permanent contract basis.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Normal working hours are Sunday - Wednesday 0800–1600 and Thursday 0800-1400. There is flexibility for starting and leaving times as long as conditioned hours are completed.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90 days probationary period.
The Embassy encourages a culture of continuous learning. Training will be given in the role. All employees have access to the Civil Service Learning platform, which gives access to training to improve job specific skills. Employees are entitled to a minimum number of annual training days.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with the completed online application form:
- An updated Curriculum Vita (CV)
- A covering letter
Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected.
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Baghdad Time) on 15 August 2022.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Interviews will be held at the British Embassy Baghdad Office or remotely via MS Teams. Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for assessment/interview will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Embassy Baghdad is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.