View Vacancy - KL - Honorary Consul (Sabah State)
The British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur is part of a global network providing a full range of consular assistance to British people in Malaysia in line with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) published Consular Guidance and Customer Charter, Consular Services Strategy, local procedures, guidance and performance standards..
Honorary Consuls are volunteers who provide a valuable service offering emergency Consular assistance to people who get into difficulties overseas for who the British Embassy has Consular responsibility for (mainly British nationals, but also some unrepresented EU nationals).
Honorary Consuls are generally people of good standing in the local community, with a strong network of local contacts and preferably a British national.
The job holder will work closely with a busy team in Kuala Lumpur providing friendly and efficient emergency consular assistance in Kota Kinabalu and Sabah State.
This is a voluntary position with no salary attached and should be an average of 4 hours work a week.
The successful jobholder will be supervised by the British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur who may ask the jobholder to assist with the following:
- Offer assistance in consular emergencies such as visiting British nationals in hospital following illness, assault or accident, or in prison following their arrest.
- Respond immediately to a large scale incident (e.g. road/air/rail/boat accident, serious fire, and natural disaster) by seeking information from local authorities about any British casualties and establishing the scale of the situation.
- In the case of the death of a British national, you may be asked to provide assistance to family members.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with key local contacts such as hospitals, courts, local police and tourist police, airports, social services, prisons, voluntary organizations etc.
- When Embassy colleagues visit Sabah, help with the organisation of these visits.
- Fluent spoken and writen English
- Excellent proven record of customer focus skills in any working environment.
- A genuine wish to help people in distress is essential.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to deliver difficult messages.
- Fluent spoken and written English is essential.
- Able to solve problem creatively, but within our guidelines.
- Good prioritisation skills, able to use Microsoft office packages.
- Good knowledge of Sabah State
- Experience of working with severely distressed people
- Knowledge of written and spoken Bahasa Malaysia
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Malaysia in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks.
Appointment would be subject to State and Federal Government. They have not made specific requirements as this stage but being able to work in Malaysia would be a prerequisite.
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 17 January 2018.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Interviews for this position will commence during the week of 5 February 2018.
Please check your application centre regularly for any update on your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.