View Vacancy - Department for International Trade: International Business Intern
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the international business development agency of the Government of the United Kingdom, working to foster transatlantic business relations between the US and the UK. This internship is with the Trade and Investment team, which helps British companies export to the US, and helps American companies establish operations in the UK. Interns will gain an understanding of how foreign direct investment and trade promotion work, as well as an understanding of the general Consulate operations.
There are 3 internship opportunities available for energetic and self-motivated individuals to gain valuable, real-world experience, working either with the Retail and Consumer Goods team, the Tech team, or the Financial Services team. Interns will have a flexible schedule, with an expectation of 15-20 hours per week in the office.
For more information on DIT, please refer to our website.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain exposure to international trade, investment and foreign policy at the Department for International Trade to understand the impact of DIT and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s targets.
- Learn about key functions of a consulate, and an office, through exposure to various departments and functions including DIT, the Political Press & Public Affairs team, Corporate Services and Consular Services.
- Shadow multiple trade and investment staff members to learn about a variety of sectors to uncover opportunities for UK companies hoping to export to the US and US companies hoping to invest in the UK.
- Develop skills in running events and missions, attending trade shows and networking with industry to develop key relationships
- Learn how to conduct outreach and lead generation, research and improve professional communication skills.
- Must be a junior or a senior in an undergraduate program, or enrolled in a graduate program by the start date of your internship (least 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework completed). Since this is an unpaid internship, students receiving college credit in exchange for their internships is required.
- Students pursuing degrees in international relations, economics, business or a related field a plus
- Strong research, analysis, and report writing skills with proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as time management, presentation, and organisational skills with an attention to detail
- Self-starter with a positive attitude
This program offers internships for 15-25 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer. These are unpaid internships, for college credit only, but the Embassy does provide a stipend of $100 per month for transportation costs. This internship will start on 05 March 2018 and end on 01 June 2018.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders, A or J1 Visa holders with valid Work Authorization Document. If you hold a Visa other than an A or J1 Visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
These are unpaid internships, for college credit only, but the Embassy does provide a stipend of $100 per month for transportation costs. This internship will start on 5 March 2018 and end on 1 June 2018.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 17 January 2018. Please note in your cover letter if you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy.Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.