View Vacancy - Chef to the Ambassador, Prague CZE19.420
The British Embassy in Prague is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Chef to the Ambassador to prepare food for official events at the Embassy and Residence as well as for the Ambassador, based at the British Ambassador's Residence in Prague.
The successful candidate should be proficient across a broad range of culinary skills, with knowledge of different cuisines (pref. British and Czech), specialty ingredients, baking and patisserie. Working knowledge of English is required.
The British Ambassador’s Residence aspires to deliver the best Embassy food and drink in Prague. The Chef is central to this.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare meals for the Ambassador
- Work with the Residence Manager and two Residence staff colleagues to coordinate meals in accordance with relevant dietary requirements, ingredient themes and financial parameters
- Prepare high-standard, creative menus for both formal and informal events
- Prepare catering for events including receptions, buffets, dinners, lunches hosted by the Ambassador
- Prepare light refreshments for official visitors as required
- Hire staff to help prepare food for large events
- The workload varies across the year, busier times are balanced with quieter times
- The Chef can make use of a vegetable garden
- Ordering and purchasing food and other items necessary in the kitchen.
- Monitoring the condition of kitchen equipment and reporting maintenanc issues
- Maintaining food stocks and stock records, as well as issuing stock from the store.
- Maintenance of the Residence kitchen and keeping the store room clean and orderly
- Submitting bills to Line Manager (including monthly reviewing of card purchases through a dedicated internet banking application)
- Regularly preparing breakdowns of food expenses for preparation of meals for individual social events
- Other duties as directed by the Ambassador
- Overtime will be taken as time off in lieu, or paid in the case of Income Generating Events
- The cost of working uniforms will be reimbursed by the Embassy
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in a Chef position in a high-standard catering environment
- Relevant degree from catering/cooking/gastronomic school
- High-standard cooking skills and knowledge
- Experience from a high-standard catering environment
- Innovative approach
- Willlingness to develop professional skills
- Basic PC skills
- Good communication skills
- High standard of professional behaviour
- Gardening (the chef would ideally be expected to maintain a vegetable garden)
This is a full-time position, the contract is for a fixed-term of 2 years with the possibility of extension.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation for the Czech Republic in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Czech Republic are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Czech Republic employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Czech Republic. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
All applicants must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Czech Republic and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline".
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.