View Vacancy - Driver (01/18 MDR)
Main Purpose of Job:
To provide transport services for staff and visitors of the British High Commission (1HMG) to and from assigned destinations within Maiduguri and North East Nigeria in a safe, efficient and courteous manner observing all road traffic rules and post security regulations. Perform administrative duties as may be required to support the effective running of the Maiduguri office and Transport operations in the Nigeria Network
Roles and responsibilities:
Transport Services – 60%
- Manage transport booking requests and communicate effectively with customers and other stakeholders
- Drive 1HMG staff and visitors to meetings and functions within Maiduguri and North East Nigeria.
- Conduct Airport runs to pick up/drop off 1HMG staff and visitors. Liaise with Airport officials as necessary.
- Undertake journeys to other states within Nigeria as necessary
- Perform duties in line with post security regulations
- Complete accurate journey record sheets for all journeys in official vehicles
Vehicle Maintenance and Management – 20%
- Keep accurate records of vehicle mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance work/costs
- Perform daily inspections to ensure that all official vehicles are road worthy and in good working order.
- Wash/Clean official vehicles ensuring they are kept tidy and parked in a secured area.
- Complete vehicle inspection checklists and promptly report any defects, faults or incidents that occur to the Transport Manager
- Check that all vehicle equipment and tools are secured safely and are functioning correctly.
- Manage a working stock of spares (held in stores with restricted access) for the fleet based in Maiduguri in line with FCO/BHC policy.
Administrative Support – 20%
- Provide administrative support for the day to day running of the Maiduguri office
- Assist the Transport Manager and liaise with other Corporate Services staff based in Abuja as necessary
- Update transport related data using Microsoft Office IT systems and maintain other records as may be delegated by the office/transport manager
- Maintain adequate records for all the operations of the Maiduguri transport unit required for audit purposes e.g. Journey records, Stores, Vehicle maintenance check lists, Fuel Consumption, etc
- Full valid Nigerian driving licence
- Minimum of 3 years verifiable previous driving experience
- Previous experience of driving Armoured Vehicles
- Good working knowledge (and driving experience) of Maiduguri and the North East Region
- Basic Computer skills – Microsoft Office tools
- Must possess minimum of SSCE with 5 credits obtained in one sitting
- Must be able to relate and speak fluently with locals
- Experience of driving for other Embassies or NGOs
Drivers work shifts rather than standard office hours. The nature of the job will require flexible working patterns. There is a requirement to work on a rotational basis sometimes in the evening and on weekends. Overtime will be paid for additional hours worked.
- The sucsessful candidate for this position will be based permenately in Maiduguri.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Maiduguri are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.