View Vacancy - General Service Officer (15/18 ABJ)
Main purpose of job:
To provide administrative and logistical support to the General Service and Protocol Unit of the British High Commission Abuja tasked with delivering an effective protocol service to the Mission and its officers in Nigeria.
Roles and responsibilities
- Inductions for UK based staff at post (new arrivals)
- Facilitate clearance of small Unaccompanied Airfreight shipments for officers
- Processing of Nigerian residence visas for diplomatic staff
- Issuing Diplomatic notes to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Arranging local third party insurance cover for official and private vehicles.
- Processing of Diplomatic plate numbers.
- Regular Interface with Government Ministries/parastatals on various protocol related matters.
- Day to day interaction with other Diplomatic Missions arranging third country visas for British Diplomats and Locally engaged Staff travelling on official business.
- Processing of import and export permits for pets.
- Ensuring that invoices from various stakeholders are scrutinized, vetted and processed for payment.
- Liaise with British Deputy High Commission Lagos colleagues on various protocol related matters and providing feedback.
- Providing general administrative support to the General Services Unit including filing, word processing, photocopying and any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Unit.
- A positive approach to undertaking routine work with a high degree of accuracy as well as a willingness to take on new task
- Good keyboard skills and familiarity with Microsoft windows (notably MS word and MS excel)
- A very strong command of written and spoken English is essential. resilience
- Level of language required: Proficient
- Inter-personal skills are also important as the successful candidate will be liaising with a large number of business organisations on a daily basis.
- Candidates must have a valid Nigerian Driving Licence as the candidate may be expected to self drive to the various government ministries
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.