View Vacancy - Project Officer (17/18 LOS)
Main purpose of job:
The main purpose of the role is to lead on the delivery of a major construction project for Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) in Lagos. The successful applicant will work closely with the selected construction firm to ensure that the programme meets its objective of providing a suitable prison wing for the Nigerian prison service. The post holder will lead on programme management, oversight and coordinating this work with HMG and external partners.
In addition, there is a requirement to support the Ikaaba Ile project focussing on the meeting and greeting of returnees disembarking from charter flights at Lagos airport.
Roles and responsibilities
- Liaising with Nigerian Prison Service, contractors and FCO Services to monitor the progress of the construction against plans.
- To identify and report to Conflict Stablity and Security Fund (CSSF) / Migration Returns Fund (MRF) teams, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) and Home Office any actual or potential blockages, delays or issues and to take all necessary remedial or mitigating actions.
- Ensure contractors are paid on time and that the movements of monies are accurately reported within given timescales and on the appropriate platforms.
- Monitoring the financial compliance of the project against spending projections and reporting any variation outside of tolerances early along with making plans for contingency.
- Conduct (at least) monthly review meetings with the contractor and prison service to review progress on the programme.
- Ensure due diligence measures are put in place which are appropriate, robust and proportionate. This will include an inspections regime for the site.
- Provide HMG organisations (Home Office, HMPPS, FCO CSSF,MRF, relevant British High Commission Abuja) colleagues with monthly progress reports, including:
o Collating and quality assuring data submitted by delivery partners;
o Ensuring project deliverables are meeting requirements and providing value for money;
o Verification visits to assess progress on specific activities;
o Gathering additional information from wider stakeholders to inform reports;
o Highlighting risks and possible mitigating actions.
- Conduct quarterly reviews of the programme to required standards.
- Coordinate and represent the programme at the Local Strategy Board.
- Support delivery partners to overcome obstacles to implementation, managing risks and escalating to the Senior Responsible Office, Local Strategy Board and / or CSSF/MRF where appropriate.
- Be the main contact point between the MRF/CSSF and delivery partners.
- Regular travel between Abuja and Lagos is likely to be required.
- PRINCE2 / AGILE or comparable project management qualification
- Project management experience, ideally construction related
- Previous experience of working on projects in Nigeria or West Africa
- Knowledge or previous experience of working with or for HMG and particularly to CSSF guidelines.
- Experience of managing a construction project in Nigeria
- PRISM experience
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Deputy High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.