View Vacancy - Health & Safety / Compliance Assistant (08/19 ABJ)
Main purpose of job:
To assist in co-ordinating, supporting and advising the British High Commission in all aspects with regards to Health and Safety. Assist the Health and safety / Compliance officer in establishing, managing and monitoring standards, processes, stakeholder engagement and communications, training and systems to ensure all responsibilities associated with Health and Safety within the High Commission are adhered to.
Roles and responsibilities:
To include, but not be restricted to the following duties:
- Provide general support and assistance to the Health and Safety/Compliance Officer
- Assist the Health and Safety Officer to monitor and coordinate Health and Safety activities.
- Assist the Health and Safety Officer with the management of safety and property compliance throughout the Post.
- Assist in Health and Safety audits and produce audit reports and follow up actions.
- Liaise closely with the Technical/Facilities/Estates Management team to manage issues relating to facilities service provision, waste disposal, buildings maintenance, fire safety equipment, electrical testing and safety audit non-compliance including filing and documentation.
- Provide clerical support to the Health and Safety Committee and Compliance Forum
- Assist the Health and Safety Officer to maintain and coordinate health and safety training.
- Assist the Health and Safety Officer/compliance officer to maintain and coordinate property compliance assessment registry.
- Assist in the identification of operational needs and preparation of risk assessments, asset registers, compliance and training of staff with adequate documentation.
- Review and record checks on all fire exits, fire and fire equipment, and fire signs.
- Review and record the First Aid, spill kit, fire extinguisher records provision across BHC sites.
- Must possess either a University degree or an HND degree
- Flexible approach to problem solving with an ability to think on their feet
- Ability to work in a high paced team
- Ability to learn fast on the job
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- A self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Good organisational skills - capable of working quickly and accurately
- Must have at least 3 years relevant work experience in Health and Safety, Compliance or an Audit role
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools
- Good Customer Service/Relations skills
- Good data analysis skills
Full time position, with core working hours between 8am – 4pm, Monday to Thursday and 8am – 1pm on Friday. However, the job holder will need to be flexible to respond to incidents and operational demands as the need arises.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.