View Vacancy - Digital Communications Lead (CHEG22.370)
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations (UN), World Trade Organisation (WTO) and other organisations in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK across a range of multilateral issues.
As the Digital Communications Lead, you will manage, lead and implement the UK Mission’s social media strategy across our platforms and ensure that our content is appropriate for our position as a leading diplomatic mission in Geneva.
The successful candidate will ensure content is planned, designed and developed in a strategic manner taking into account platforms, target audiences and objectives.
This is an exciting role where creativity, proven digital content creation skills and political awareness can be combined to deliver engaging content in support of important policy goals.
The Mission works with the full spectrum of organisations/agencies in Geneva on issues including human rights, global health, trade & economic issues, humanitarian and more. Your work will be varied: one week you could be supporting the the UK’s priorities at the Human Rights Council and the next week you could be working on a WTO Ministerial Conference. Whilst we strive to be as proactive as possible with our communications, the nature of our work means that we are looking for someone who can also thrive in a reactive, fast paced environment.
The UK Mission is already recognised as a leader when it comes to the effectiveness of our social media outreach and engagement. The successful candidate will build on our strong reputation and help us to ensure that we are continuing to innovate. You will be part of a small communications team which is empowered to deliver.
Main roles and responsibilities:
- Manage the UK Mission’s online presence across all channels
- Work with policy teams in Geneva and London to develop and create high-quality original digital content including video, graphics, photography, tweets and other short form content, in support of key strategic objectives
- Support and advise the Ambassador on his social media
- Support the Head of Communications with broader communication planning and deputise where necessary
- Provide publishing support
- Line management of an intern
- Fluent written and spoken English (C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in digital communication;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with proven experience of communicating key messages to audiences in a creative way;
- Passion and knowledge of best practice digital content, emerging channels, and the latest tools;
- Photography skills;
- Graphic design and production skills e.g. Photoshop, Canva or similar;
- Video production and editing skills e.g. Adobe Premiere Elements or similar;
- Confidence presenting to and persuading senior staff
- Knowledge of social media evaluation tools beyond native Twitter and Facebook analytics e.g. Brandwatch;
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to utilise insights to inform direction, and effectively using evaluation tools to inform reflection and next steps;
- Ability to create engaging content that is accessible and tells a story, making use of low/no cost approaches to deliver impact;
- Interest in multilateral issues.
- Multilateral experience
- Experience working in an international and fast-paced environment
This is a 12 months full-time permanent contract, 5 working days (40 hours) per week, at Executive Officer (EO) level.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and 6 months’ probation period.
Staff recruited locally by the UK Mission for the United Nations in Geneva are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Swiss employment law.
Please note that you must have the right to work and reside in Switzerland without visa sponsorship. (For information: EU nationals do not require visa sponsorship).
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Switzerland and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
United Kingdom, European Union and EFTA nationals do not require visa sponsorship along with Nationals of: Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Principality of Andorra, Principality of Monaco, San Marino, Singapore and Vatican.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
You will be expected to complete a five day International Communications Skills course in London within the first few months of the job, as well as mandatory online training.
You will have access to the International Academy’s learning offer. This is the FCDO’s L&D hub which aims to help staff build the skills and knowledge needed to deliver for the UK internationally. Staff are encouraged to work through modules at Foundation, Practitioner and eventually Expert Level.
In addition, you will be provided with a generous learning & development budget each year which can be used flexibly according to your preferences (e.g. other team members have used the budget for language lessons).
The Mission has a strong L&D culture, with shadowing and other informal opportunities taking place on a regular basis.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet any cost during the Recruitment and Selection process, Security Check nor the costs connected with relocation.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.