View Vacancy - MNL - Chevening Scholarships Officer, AO
The British Embassy Manila is a large diplomatic mission delivering a dynamic and rapidly expanding programme of activity in support of the UK’s objectives on prosperity, security and consular matters. The Embassy is a modern, diverse and inclusive employer where everyone contributes to the Embassy’s WORC Values of Wellbeing, Opportunity, Respect and Collaboration.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Chevening is the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office’s flagship global scholarship programme. Celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2018/19 Chevening identifies future leaders and key influencers across 160 countries and territories, providing them with an opportunity to study a postgraduate degree in the UK. Chevening has 50,000 strong global alumni network.
Chevening is overseen and managed by The Scholarships Unit within the FCDO based in London. The administration of the programme is carried out on behalf of the FCDO by the Chevening Secretariat, which is hosted within the Association of Commonwealth universities.
The Chevening Officer is responsible for the delivery of the Chevening programme in country, working closely with the Chevening secretariat and as a key member of the Embassy’s Public Diplomacy team. The candidate must have a strong academic background, relevant work experience and an active interest in, and understanding of, the Philippine and global current affairs, and awareness of education and aid programmes, and development work.
- Managing the Chevening application process, including downloading applications, assisting with shortlisting, arranging interviews, updating the Chevening online application system with short-lists and interview results and organising pre-departure briefings.
- Generate written and visual content for social media, press and radio and Identifying other ways to promote Chevening, such as attending university fairs and other outreach events.
- Monitoring the Chevening marketing budget, keeping records of promotional material, contacting suppliers for quotations and following up that new orders are produced according to the Chevening branding guidelines.
- Carrying out administration of the programme in line with Chevening policy as set by TSU.
- Responding to enquiries regarding the scheme and acting as point of contact with the Embassy team on Chevening-related marketing activities, application process and alumni events.
- Establishing and developing an effective Chevening alumni network, organising a series of alumni events from concept to delivery and an annual welcome-home event, including, where relevant.
- Successfully bidding for alumni engagement funding opportunities and managing budgets associated with these.
- Develop local partnerships and account-manage existing partnerships including outreach, engagement and data management. Ensure any existing partnerships are managed effectively, working with the secretariat to ensure timely payments from partners.
- Ensure all financial issues are dealt with affectively and in line with policy, including ensuring costs are charged to the correct budget and meeting policy guidelines.
- Be an active part of the Public Diplomacy team by contributing to their wider work, eg helping on events, campaigns and visits, covering for the Communications, Campaigns and Events Manager and Digital Diplomacy Officer, when necessary.
- Other Ad Hoc tasks as required.
Chevening Allocation, Marketing and Alumni Budget
- Ability to plan and implement marketing and promotion campaigns utilising various media platforms
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) in both Filipino and English - confidence to speak with senior members of the Government, FCDO and others.
- Highly organised, with an eye for detail; able to follow set procedures
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills
- Ability to monitor and engage on digital media platforms, to include efficiently editing and uploading content
- Language: English & Filipino
- Level of language required : Fluent verbal & written
- An understanding of education systems in UK and the Philippines would be an advantage
- Experience of working in similar programmes
- Experience of event and programme management
The British Embassy offers a competitive compensation package, 36-hour work week, guaranteed 13th and 14th month pay, 20 days paid annual leave (calculated on Pro-rata basis if joined after 1 January), extensive medical insurance, life insurance and access to a guaranteed 5 days of learning opportunities a year.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Manila is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Philippine employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Candidates are expected to have a valid NBI Clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Kindly be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
For inclusivity and diversity, please remove the following personal information when uploading your CV: name, address, email address, age, date of birth, gender, and nationality.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.