View Vacancy - EU Economic Affairs (ROU18.507)
The British Embassy in Romania is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an EU/Economic Affairs Officer.
For the duration of UK EU exit negotiations, the main purpose of the job is to build and develop bilateral relationships between Romania, UK Ministries, international with an interest in agriculture, fisheries, environment/forestry’s, infrastructure, transport and health. You will provide insight into Romania’s thinking on these objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake a comprehensive stakeholder / sectoral mapping exercise to build a wide network of contacts in government, business, universities, international organisations and public research organisations in Romania to support the British Embassy’s overarching objectives.
- Develop a wide range of contacts including governmental, commercial and diplomatic organisations in the UK and Romania to support Embassy objectives.
- Support the wider work in the Embassy including providing surge capacity and engaging in corporate activities.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent;
- Relevant work experience (at least 2 years) in an international or governmental environment;
- Good understanding of government at a local and national level;
- A solid understanding of policy making and how governments work, including the EU;
- A self-starter, with the ability to organise self and work effectively;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; confidence in dealing with senior contacts and colleagues, and in handling customers;
- Ability to work independently and (more importantly) as part of a team;
- Fluent oral and written English and Romanian;
- Good IT skills;
This is a full-time, fixed-term contract for 12 months with the possibility of renewing for a further 12 months (35 hours net per week) by mutual consent. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for agreed extra hours worked.
Expected start date 3 December 2018, however, the successful candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
The annual leave entitlement is 21 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys a maximum of 14 Romanian / UK public holidays per year.
Monthly salary is 5,584 RON gross. In addition, staff are entitled to a 13th month salary pro rata and may receive a performance related bonus at year end. Staff also receive meal vouchers and a monthly subscription to a medical centre. An individual personal development plan will be agreed with the successful candidate, which may include training outside Romania.
For your information whilst the Emergency Ordinance 79/2017 is in place the job holder will receive a gross monthly compensation bonus of RON 1,111.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance, and satisfactory completion of a probationary period of up to 45 calendar days
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Romanian employment law.
Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Romania and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.