View Vacancy - Senior Communications Officer (Mexico City/Press and Political)
Main purpose of job:
Would you like the opportunity to work as part of a team dedicated to promote everything that is GREAT about the UK in Mexico and be a key element in a hard-working, diverse, and creative group of professional communicators?
The Press and Communications team of the British Embassy in Mexico City is recruiting a Senior Communications Officer. As a Senior Communications Officer you would be expected to design communications strategies for specific Embassy teams; support specific Embassy sections in press events, campaigns and other communications, such as press releases and media reports; to establish relations with the media; and to produce analytical media reports. You will also be directly supporting the Head of the Team in the team’s organisation and internal affairs.
Roles and responsibilities / What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Design and implement communications plans for specific policy teams, supporting those teams in the organisation of events, press handling, developing media products (such as press releases, press conferences, PR activities and social media content), and generating media reports. This includes supporting different cross-Embassy projects and the GREAT Britain campaign.
- Coordinate and develop communications products, such as interviews, Op-Eds, articles, etc. for senior Embassy staff and high-level UK visitors, including Ministerial Visits and campaign launches. He/she will also have the opportunity to contribute with original content to our permanent communications channels, like the Ambassador’s weekly column.
- Develop a strong network of specialised media, including sector mappings and PR strategies. Establish direct contact and relations with editors, reporters and other relevant stakeholders.
- In charge of integrating the team’s media reports, including the production of a quarterly activity report, and an analytical Annual Media Report. When needed, produce special analytical media summaries, for example, during elections periods or relevant political developments.
- Support the Head of the Team in different activities around the team’s organisation: from spotting learning and development needs and opportunities, to organising the annual Comms Week, a training event for Embassy members.
Have an active role in consular crises and dedicate 5% of the work time to corporate activities, such as the participation in Committees.
- Outstanding writing skills in both English and Spanish.
- Deep understanding of the Mexican media.
- Understanding of the status quo of Mexican politics.
- Organisation and logistic skills.
- Reporting, analysis and synthesis skills.
- Leadership and project management skills.
- Social media strategy knowledge.
- Basic graphic design and reporting tools knowledge (Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office).
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Continuous learning opportunities depending on specific profile and agreed learning & development plan.
At least one formal learning opportunity after probation period is over.
This opportunity is closed to applications.