View Vacancy - Disarmament Intern (CHEG18.629)
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK at the UN and is recruiting a highly motivated and skilled person to do an internship with the Mission’s Disarmament team.
The successful candidate will provide administrative and policy support to the Disarmament team, including attending and reporting from meetings of the Conference on Disarmament and the disarmament treaties, monitoring the academic and civil society debate, and helping to deliver a successful UK Presidency of the CD in February 2019.
In more detail, main responsibilities will include:
- Attending and reporting on meetings of the Conference on Disarmament, major disarmament treaties, and other events on disarmament and related issues;
- Monitoring the disarmament debate, in academic and NGO publications and online, and bringing interesting and relevant contributions to the attention of the team;
- General support to the Disarmament team: documentary, logistical, and administrative.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written);
- Strong interest in international relations, multilateral system and / or disarmament issues;
- University degree;
- The successful candidate needs to be highly motivated, flexible, and have excellent skills in communication and organisation, an open, co-operative attitude;
- IT literacy;
- Willingness to undergo a mandatory security check.
- Previous work experience of disarmament or related issues;
- Knowledge of French (both oral and written).
All applicants should have permission to live and work in Switzerland. Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 12 months for any EU / Schengen country.
The UK Mission will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of 1,250 CHF. Please note that the intern will need to arrange and pay for his or her own travel, accommodation, mandatory health insurance, as well as any other costs. This internship will be for a period of 6 months.
The final appointment will be dependent upon successful security clearance. Please note that selected candidates may have to visit the Mission (around 4-6 weeks before starting) for a security interview, which is also at their own cost.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet the costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.