View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate, Financial, Professional, and Business Services
The Department for International Trade is the United Kingdom Government’s international business development agency. DIT is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US, and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (See www.gov.uk/dit for further information.)
DIT USA works closely with it’s Headquarters in London, together with representatives of the three Devolved Administrations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, and other departmental agencies in the UK. DIT aims to drive transatlantic trade and foreign investment into the UK. Made up of 156 members of staff in 9 US offices, this is a dynamic team, with geographical and sector focuses. The Trade & Investment Associate will report to the Trade & Investment Officer (Financial & Professional Services) in the San Francisco office.
The FPBS sector spans a number of industries including: fintech, investment banking, fund management, insurance, legal, accounting, management consulting, and other business services.
The Trade & Investment Associate will support the San Francisco Financial & Professional Services team to ensure delivery against national and regional targets for the entire western US. This will primarily be helping innovative US Fintech and Finance companies to capitalise on commercial opportunities in the UK (i.e. ‘investment’) and assisting UK Fintech and Finance companies looking to enter or grow their businesses in the US market (i.e. ‘trade’). Laterally this involves researching and tracking fast growing start-ups, generating leads from the research, and setting up meetings for the officer. In addition you will attend conferences, organise events and support VIP visit programs. It’s a fast moving role that requires a flexible individual with a good sense of humour and ability to move at pace.
- Lead Generation: Proactively identify companies within the Financial & Professional Services sectors that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK; make initial contact, organise visit programs and schedule company meetings. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in the management of client relationships.
- Deliver for clients: Proactively make introductions, undertake research and deliver visit programs for UK companies under the related High Value Campaign
- Develop knowledge of developments and trends in the Financial & Professional Services sectors for both the US and the UK.
- Manage and expand the database of key contacts in the industry.
- Assist with initiatives such as incoming and outgoing trade missions, seminars, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in both trade and investment.
- Attend industry seminars and conferences to build relationships and represent DIT and the British Consulate General.
- Assist with consular support services in times of crisis.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 1-3 years professional experience in international business, preferably in the Financial Services sector
- Ability and credibility to deal with companies/organisations at a senior level in person and over the phone, with a proven track record of fostering business relationships
- Excellent research and report writing skills – with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries and to respond to ad hoc requests at short notice using databases and other information sources
- Proactive self-starter, able to prioritise and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Attention to detail and good follow up discipline
- Strong and enthusiastic networking skills
- Committed team player
- Comfortable with initiating and handling introductory calls to relevant companies
- Knowledge of the business environments in the UK and US, in particular Financial Services sector
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and often under tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) is essential
Level of Language required: Excellent
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to attend official functions outside of office hours and required to undertake domestic (US) travel between 5-10% of the time. A limited amount of international travel may also be required.
The candidate will have the ability to avail of internal and external training facilitated and paid for by DIT budget – including a familiarization trip back to the UK (if required).
Flexible working is possible within DIT San Francisco. Possibilities include earlier or later start times in the morning – followed by leaving earlier or later in the evening. DIT SF allows employees to work remotely, one-to-two days a week, depending on schedule. (Note: this is not always possible during busy periods, or when there are mandatory staff meetings. Each week is taken on a case-by-case basis, with clear communication around what’s required to be in the office for, vs. the authorization to work remotely).
This opportunity is closed to applications.