View Vacancy - Consular Assistant, ETD Centre (ESP22.394)
Consular assistance is a FCDO priority and issuing Emergency Travel Documents (ETD’s) is a large part of the assistance offered to British nationals whilst working or travelling overseas.
Working in a busy team, your global role will primarily be the processing of applications and production of ETDs for British Nationals whose full validity passport has expired, been damaged, lost or stolen or is otherwise unavailable and need to travel urgently. The vast majority of these will have been online applicants and will not attend the Consulate.
This will include checking documents and assessing applicant’s eligibility; taking payments for applications; data inputting and processing applications; printing Emergency Travel Documents and organising courier delivery; liaising with customers, usually by email or by phone but some face-to-face contact; interviewing some applicants by video link or occasionally face-to-face or by phone; and liaising with consular colleagues and a third party courier company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Checking, completing and printing Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs);
- Liaison with customers throughout the ETD process, where it is relevant;
- Problem solving customer issues as they are presented;
- Liasing with Posts and couriers;
- General office duties including ETD stock management;
- Being an active part of a dynamic and evolving team, contributing to a positive team culture.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English (C1 level according to CEFR*);
- Proven customer service of minimum 3 years experience;
- Previous experience of working effectively within a team;
- Experience working in an administrative hub or centralised operation;
- Attention to detail, strong analytical perspective and problem solving skills;
- Good organisational skills: delivering within required timescales and managing an often heavy workload;
- The ability to work flexibly in a fast paced, changing environment;
- Good IT skills (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Teams);
- Driving license;
- Available to work out of hours and to travel abroad when required.
- Previous experience of data entry and checking documents;
- Previous experience interviewing customers or stakeholders;
- ETD processing experience and knowledge;
- Excellent verbal and written communication in Spanish (C1 level according to CEFR*).
This is a full-time fixed term contract until 14 July 2023. The working hours are 37.5 hours per week. Shift rotation basis, varying work schedule each week Monday through to Sunday including unsociable hours and public holidays. The exact working hours and shifts will be laid down by the British Embassy in Madrid but the centre is open 24/7 and working patterns will reflect this.
The successful candidate is subject to a confirmation of a background check, security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy based on gross annual salary.
The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Spain and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please be advised that Consular positions at the FCDO entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape, assault, post-mortems, prison visits and highly distressed customers. Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCDO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCDO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.