View Vacancy - Department of International Trade - University Pool (for Undergraduate Programs)
The Department for International Trade (DIT) has been established by the Prime Minister to integrate and elevate the Trade agenda; to help secure a better deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU; and, to establish new relationships with other countries around the globe.
DIT promotes British trade across the world and ensures that the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us. We intend to:
- drive up the value of exports and inward investments, by focusing attention on those markets with the biggest opportunities for sectors in which the UK is or can be a strong competitor and where government can add most value;
- drive up the volume of exporters and inward investors through a new and better suite of export products, an increasingly digital offer (such as Exporting is GREAT) that will lead businesses to the right advice and support and fostering of the private sector advisory market; and
- drive up the future pipeline of export and inward investment opportunities, which includes ensuring that British businesses are poised to seize the opportunities generated through HMG’s Prosperity Fund activities to promote inclusive growth and sustainable development.
This is a talent pool for prospective candidates who are interested in trade and investment.
You will inform and manage delivery of key components of the sector strategy set by the Director and Deputy Director. You will engage and lobby external contacts to support UK interests using the full range of tools available in the Embassy network. You will use these to build and maintain relationships that enable you to deliver on those targets. You will ensure managers are kept updated on agreed priorities, pipelines and outcomes. You will identify, plan, manage and follow up specific projects and visits including bidding for and managing budgets.
The core factors of the job will be to deliver high value business wins and high quality investment for the UK to meet sector targets, by:
- Working with China Britian Business Council (CBBC) in providing services to UK companies, using the Officer’s sector expertise to achieve their targets for service deliveries, revenue, and business opportunity responses.
- Promoting UK excellence;
- Building strong relationships with key business clients, local government officials and industry bodies;
- Leveraging partner networks and business associates to achieve targets;
- Identifying and linking new Chinese opportunities and investment interests with UK capability and strategic needs;
- Building sector expertise to underpin delivery;
- Working in collaboration with partners across government, and private businesses to overcome barriers to trade and market access issues;
- Positively working across teams within DIT and the wider Consulate-General/Embassy to achieve shared targets.
- A diplomatic, tactful manner when dealing with contacts and colleagues
- Good organisation skills, positive approach to teamwork, and a pro-active attitude
- Relevant sector experience is preferred in one of the following areas:
-Creative, Consumer and Education
-Life Science and Healthcare
-Financial services and ICT
-Energy, Environment and Infrastructure
-Advanced manufacturing and Transport
- Good administrative and IT skills (e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Academic Education: Bachelors degree and above is preferred but not essential
The gross starting salary for this position before all deductions is an abated monthly salary of RMB 24529/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria. We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata.
Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs.