View Vacancy - Part-Time Butler - British High Commission Bridgetown
Main purpose of job:
The Butler is a critical member of our small Official Residence Team who holds responsibiity for a range of ‘hands on’ support activity. As the first point of contact for all visitors to the Official Residence you will be responsible for meeting and greeting guests on arrival including VVIPs and Senior Government Officials, and providing them with a world class guest experience ensuring guest comfort at all times. As well as concierge, table and bar service the Butler is responsible for the cleanliness and presentation of the Official Residence, ensuring that the property is clean, presentable and ready to receive visitors at any time. Under the guidance of the Events & Residence Manager the Butler works closely with the British High Commissioner, the Residence Team, and all High Commission colleagues.
Roles and responsibilities:
Visitor and guest services
- Meeting and greeting guests on arrival including VVIPs and Senior Government Officials.
- Providing concierge and assistance for guests and visitors.
- Providing table and bar services as required.
- Ensuring the comfort and safety of all guests and visitors including briefing guests on arrival.
- Planning the layout and setting tables for functions. Designing and creating table decorations and household flower and decorative arrangements.
- Serving meals and drinks, clearing away and washing dishes.
- Assisting the Residence Manager with the hiring and supervision of additional staff for functions and housekeeping as required, including arrangement of their remuneration.
- Ensuring that additional staff and contractors maintain safety standards while working at the residence.
- Supporting and assisting the Residence Cook.
- Advising the Events & Residence Manager of when wine/spirit orders are required. Ordering soft drinks and receiving delivery.
- Assisting other residence staff when requested; including function preparation and cleaning up afterwards; actively embracing a team culture.
- Documenting the monthly inventory of beverages, first aid and emergency supplies. Upkeep of first aid kit.
- Responsibility for stock, equipment, flatware etc.
- On arrival, opening all windows and doors, clean both patios (including all fixtures and fittings).
- Ensuring that the entrance of residence is clean and presentable at all times including sweeping and power washing.
- Liaising with the Housekeeper to ensure a high standard of cleanliness throughout the official residence.
- Thorough cleaning of the pool summerhouse, bar area, cellar and outside storerooms.
- Cleaning of all silver and brass items.
Maintenance & Safety
- Reporting maintenance issues to the Events and Residence Manager.
- Daily running of all taps and showers and flushing of all toilets.
- Responsibility for daily checking of all appliances and preventative maintenance of such. Checking A/C units and light bulbs are working.
- Assisting with fire drills and the testing of emergency equipment at the official residence.
- Operating the security system and log.
- Taking telephone messages as required.
- Monitoring external service staff and contractors when they are on the property.
- Attending residence and all staff meetings and events.
- Assisting the Residence Manager with ad hoc tasks and projects.
- Expenditure: Group Procurement Card with maximum limit of £5000.00.
- At least 3 years' experience in the hospitality industry.
- IT competence (Including Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work under deadlines and manage your own time.
- Ability to carry out manual labour as needed.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Legal status to live and work in Barbados in your own right, from time of application.
- Health & Safety Certification.
- Food Hygiene Certification.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Health & Safety
- Manual Handling
- Government Data Protection Regulations
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, e.g. some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6-12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
This role is in-person. Hours are subject to operational requirements. Flexible working hours are essential. Evening and weekend work is required.
This role is open to anyone who possesses of status to work and reside in Barbados.
Appointment is subject to successful local and UK internal security checks and for CBS, a clean Barbados Police Certificate of Character must be presented at interview.
- The period of probation for this role in 6 months. The British High Commission reserves the right to extend this in order to fairly assess performance.
- A full induction and coaching will be arranged for the successful applicant.
- The starting salary for this part time position is BBD $ $25,206.
- A comprehensive mandatory pension plan is offered to CBS after successful completion of the probation period. Subject to plan provider approval, group medical coverage is offered after the first month of service.
- This role is part time at 25 hours per week. Core office hours are 7.45am-4pm, Monday - Thursday and 8am-1pm on Fridays. Hours are worked flexibly and will vary subject to operational requirements. Evening and weekend work is required.
- Annual leave entitlement is 16 days rising to 20 days after one year of service. A combination of up to 14 UK and local public holiday days are also observed. Leave bookings are agreed in line with the High Commissioner’s schedule.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time and enriching learning and development opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.