View Vacancy - Head of Media- HEO, Islamabad
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, experience-based segment and the behaviours and technical/ professional skills based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
This is a fixed term position for 2 years.
Main purpose of job:
To work with a great team to deliver communications that can effect change and influence some of the biggest global issues of today.
The Head of News will shape and lead the Pakistan Network’s engagement with the Pakistani media – including building trust and strong relationships with the diverse and vibrant range of print and broadcast media channels (national and regional) in Pakistan, proving first rate media analysis, devising and implementing strong narratives on UK priorities in Pakistan, and balancing a reactive media approach in a fast changing global context with the delivery of proactive and insight led communication with the media.
The successful applicant will have a deep understanding of the media landscape in Pakistan, be digitally savvy, work well under pressure including in crisis situations, and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
You will have an interest in foreign affairs and know about some of the top global issues on the agenda at the moment. The ideal candidate will have a communication/PR background with specialist expertise and skills with a proven track record of working in or with the media. You should have an expert level understanding of the media environment we live and work in (in UK and Pakistan).
You will need to be a strong networker and be able to build strong collaborative relationships with the Pakistani media. This means being a good listener and deal with challenge in a positive way, being supportive and helpful, working out where there are areas of common objectives, and being able to put across strong arguments and narratives.
You will need to be creative and curious, confident enough to share your ideas, and perceptive enough to encourage others to share their’s too. We encourage a fun and creative atmosphere where we can turn thoughts into ideas and ideas into action. This is key to give us the leading edge when we are looking at how we can make the most difference.
You will be up to speed with communication professional standards, as well as having an eye for emerging communications trends and be someone who can translate these into innovative press engagement. You will be enthusiastic and proactive in your approach so being able to spot thematic links, take decisions based on sound evidence, and show initiative to ensure that communications is factored in right from the very start as policy is being developed.
The ideal candidate should be a good team player and loves being part of a nice but busy team. This means you’re committed, can be counted on to get the job done and are inclusive and respectful of other people’s opinions. You will be able to prioritise work and be flexible when needed for example helping out during crises. A big part of the role includes reaching out and developing good working relationships with a variety of partners – both in the private and public sector. You may be required to monitor and manage financial resources such as a budget.
You will enjoy delivering through virtual teams and empowering others, enabling staff to deliver their very best. There is the potential to take on further line management responsibilities in the future. You will be an active listener, understand motivations of different staff, able to have honest and open conversations, and help nurture talent.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Lead and manage all press activity for the Pakistan Network, including handling sensitive issues, promoting campaigns and supporting visits.
- Act as the leading contact for Karachi-based media, maintaining strong relationship with our media partners.
- Produce high quality communications materials for the Pakistan Network in both English and Urdu. This should include drafting speeches, press release and articles.
- Provide insight led media analysis and help develop a strong understanding of HMG policy in relation to Pakistan and provide media analysis to policy colleagues.
- As part of the Pakistan communications network, oversee media and press engagement especially in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi, including on crisis communications and international media engagement.
- Be able to lead press briefings and press conferences. The role may require you to be speak on behalf of the British High Commission for broadcast and print media.
- Be able to advise senior management on implications and ramifications of different options being taken.
- Knowledge/experience of the Pakistani media landscape.
- Excellent PR and/or communication skills including experience of working in a press office or journalistic skills.
- Excellent written English.
- Ability to develop or customise stories for national and International audiences.
- Ability to represent the organisation in high-profile and high-pressured external environments.
- Exercise a high degree of independent judgement in dealings with internal and external clients and organisations.
- Strong understanding of how the news media can be used to influence change.
- A minimum of four years of relevant experience working in or with the media.
- Knowledge of international affairs.
- Experience in event and budget management.
- Previous line management experience.
For BHC candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. For other than BHC candidates the basic salary will be PKR 234,123 per month.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
’Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 21st August 2022 (latest by 23:55 hours PKT).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.