View Vacancy - Defence & Security Trade Adviser (ITA136)
The British Consulate in Milan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Italy Network is looking for a Defence & Security Trade Adviser role to integrate the Department of International Trade (DIT), based in Milan.
The Department for International Trade is seeking to recruit a Defence & Security business development expert from UK industry or Ministry of Defence to bolster the existing Defence & Security export campaigns in the Mediterranean Group. The primary country of focus will be Italy with a secondary focus on Spain, Portugal, Greece and Cyprus. The representative will be appointed to assist UK Defence & Security businesses enter the Mediterranean market, in particular Italy, and grow their business once established. This is a new role and will be based within the British Consulate-General in Milan but will be expected to develop a wider regional remit.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the role of the Head of the Advanced Engineering Trade Team in Milan to deliver a successful trade campaign for the Mediterranean Group.
- Develop a market strategy to promote UK exports. This will be based upon knowledge and analysis of the national Defence & Security markets. This strategy will propose market priorities, taking into account the defence, security and cyber security strategies of countries in the region.
- Work closely with wider UK Consulate staff and DIT London to identify export business opportunities for UK companies. Also work closely with UK industry to deliver targeted support.
- Manage, in coordination with other parts of DIT, FCO and other Departments, the HMG approach to the region’s export opportunities, prioritising as necessary and leveraging expertise from various parts of UK Government.
- Develop and maintain a network of working-level contacts with Defence & Security leaders across Government, industry and academia in the region to help promote UK capability. Engage wider UK stakeholders as appropriate.
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of UK Government policy, the UK’s Defence & Security industry and services base, its capabilities and those of UK academia.
- Support the lead with the organisation of campaigns, events (including exhibitions, trade missions, seminars, etc.) and outward visits to the UK of Italian personnel.
- Identify local companies and institutions wishing to partner with those in the UK both in regards to supplying the local and global markets. Highlight and develop opportunities for partnering and investment between local entities and UK industry.
- Excellent command (both oral and written) of English and Italian, In order to work effectively and independently.
- Ability to work effectively and supportively with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider team. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities.
- Good sense of organisation and communication.
- Excellent understanding of Italian business dynamics.
- Excellent communication and analysis skills, and the ability to influence, guide and educate at all levels.
- A solid background in Defence & Security obtained from experience in Industry or Ministry of Defence, with experience of commercial security issues.
- Awareness of current Cyber Security policy and strategy, and be able to provide advice, comment and viewpoints when required both in the UK and to overseas contacts.
- Experience of working in the Mediterranean region would be an advantage.
This is a full-time fixed-term position with a contract of 24 months. The contract will be reviewed towards the end of the term with a possibility of extending the same for an additional 12 months. The monthly gross salary is Euro 2,802.00. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected.
The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of a four month probationary period.
This role will be located within the UK British Consulate-General in Milan and will report to the Head of the Advanced Engineering Trade team in Milan. A moderate level of travel within the Mediterranean region and to the UK will be required.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.