View Vacancy - BK - Border Force Office Manager, B3
The British Embassy in Bangkok is part of a world-wide network of 270 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are currently recruiting an Office Manager to join our Project Hunter Border Force team.
Border Force plays a key role in preventing terrorism, crime and illegal immigration. It also has a vital role in supporting national prosperity, through the facilitation of legitimate travel and protection of revenue. It operates with a number of key partners in terms of security and law enforcement.
The main purpose of the job is to provide support to the drugs interdiction programme known as operation Hunter and the UK governments work on drugs and crime. The jobholder will be required to support operation Hunter colleagues working on drugs and crime issues. The team will be resourced to cover, parcels, air freight, maritime freight and containers.
The Jobholder is expected to -
- Support Border Force Officers assigned to Operation Hunter.
- Undertake in-depth fact finding and analysis, providing judgements in identifying the best approach or solution from a range of options
- Support the senior Border Force management by providing them with briefings, presentations and the compilation of written reports with appropriate recommendations
- Provide a full range of administrative support to the Regional Border Force Manager, including: drafting letters, inputting and maintaining database records, scheduling meetings, organising travel arrangements for UK including visa applications, record minutes of the meeting
- Arrange visits and calls to Ministers and Senior Officers;
- Maintain multiple confidential, intelligence database records, basic criminal investigation, research and analysis of records;
- Compile tactical and strategic reports;
- Maintain records of UK Hunter staff;
- Line manage drivers (2) and oversee the maintenance of the official vehicles, insurance, servicing and other associated costs
- Arrange payments of invoices, utility and other bills;
- Assist with the financial reports and the correct running of the Hunter accounts including compilation of accurate monthly returns;
- Assist with monthly reports and training programs, including their evaluation;
- Liaise with law enforcement and public bodies – both at senior management and practitioner level;
- Arrange regular maintenance of equipment that has been donated to third parties and maintain the associated budget;
- Undertake other duties that may reasonably be required, within the grading and core competences of the job, including attendance at, and planning for, representational events.
- Ability to prioritise in a fast-paced work environment and strong self-organisation;
- Ability to manage financial transactions and compile simple financial reports
- Being comfortable dealing with sensitive issues and therefore the ability to be highly ethical and discreet;
- Occasional translation at meetings for officers.
- A high level of written and spoken English and Thai
- Strong planning and organizational skills
The successful applicant will need to:
- Undergo a rigorous and intrusive security clearance process;
- Observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Diversity and Equality policies;
- Show flexibility over working hours;
- Must have a current Thai driving licence
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary, benefits, a leave entitlement, Health Insurance and full training. The job is linked to the British Embassy’s Local Staff B3 grade. For those not liable to tax, the salary will be abated.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Thailand in order to apply. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 23 May 2017.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information request. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Interviews for this position will commence during the week of 05 June 2017.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Reminder for existing Embassy staff who will be interested to apply:
Along with the completed online application form, candidates should upload their last two years End of Year Appraisals if applicable. If applicants have been employed for less than twelve months, they will need to provide permission from their Head of Section to apply and should attach this to their application.
Guidance on completing competency based application forms and sitting Interviews can be found on the BE Website and also on the Civil Service Learning portal, Virtual Ashridge portal and Goodpractice.net (both accessed through the CSL). Staff are strongly advised to refer to these.
We recommend all applicants to understand the Civil Service competences before applying for any role and in preparation for interviews. For more information, you can visit our website - https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok/about/recruitment.
Please check your application centre regularly for any update on your application
This opportunity is closed to applications.