View Vacancy - JPN- Senior Press Officer & Strategic Communications Manager B3(L)
- To lead on strategic media planning and outreach; fostering influencer networks; identifying Japanese/ international media audiences and channels to promote UK values and British government policy;
- To lead on strategic communications, ensuring alignment with Country Business Plan and working collaboratively with the Media, Communications & Marketing Section’s digital and marketing staff on campaign work primarily targeted at Japanese audiences.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Excellent people management, including:
- Line management/counter-signing for 2.5 press officers in Tokyo and Osaka; invested in staff development and performance;
- Management of busy work flows; advanced planning of resources to cover both reactive press handling and delivery of planned media engagement;
- Creative and flexible approach; confident engagement with senior management; effective reporting and recommendations; supporting C5 head of section in finding solutions when under pressure.
Lead on strategic communications planning for the section and media engagement, including:
- Support head of section in promoting a strategic communications approach across the Japan Network and ensuring a joined-up approach between Media and Campaigns/ Marketing;
- Liaise with senior management; ensure regular engagement between press staff and all sections to prioritise media requests;
- Maintain strategic oversight to ensure that press engagement supports wider Country Business Plan and sections’ objectives;
- Lead on ensuring that key Japan network stakeholders are kept abreast of developments/ announcements on Brexit– in particular coordinating Network- wide communications after key announcements/ events.
Foster a powerful media network for leveraging by the Japan Network, including:
- Pro- actively maintain and develop a personal network of media contacts and influencers;
- Use networking to build knowledge of UK government policy in order to confidently design recommendations, challenge and deliver on strategic vision;
- Work with sections to conduct research and planning of potential like- minded media partners.
Effective management of press handling for high- profile events and VIP visits, including:
- Liaise directly with government departments; support head of section and senior staff in managing press engagement work for senior British visitors to Japan, identifying best opportunities and liaising as needed with visit officers in Japan and the UK;
- To own and manage media activities and events as divided across the Section. Particularly in the prioritising and planning stages to ensure strategic focus, measurable impact, relevance for the audience and professional delivery. Will occasionally be expected to chair or MC press events.
- 5 years experience in public relations, marketing or digital communications with a public or private-sector organisation;
- Undertaken relevant studies related to the field of communications;
- Experience managing diverse staff;
- Proven skills in designing, pitching and managing campaigns;
- Country knowledge and proven ability to engage Japanese, UK and international audiences;
- Strong IT skills, (including standard Microsoft Office programmes and familiarity with latest digital tools);
- Fluency required in one language (JLPT level 1 or equivalent/ IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent), with business level skills in the other.
- Fluency in both languages ((JLPT level 1 or equivalent/, IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent);
- Relevant industry qualification or certification in communications, marketing and/or project management;
- Expertise in relevant digital platforms, production and techniques;
- Familiarity with government communications, policy and priorities;
- Budget management skills and experience.
All applications must be received on or before 23:55, 22 May 2017 (Monday).
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
This opportunity is closed to applications.