View Vacancy - Science & Innovation Officer
Main purpose of job:
This role is part of the Newton Team of the British Embassy in Mexico City, leading our science/innovation work in Mexico. The central purpose is to deepen and widen Britain’s science and innovation collaboration with Mexico, to drive economic growth, social development and poverty reduction.
The desired outcome is new, powerful, strategic tools of cooperation between British and Mexican researchers and institutions, funded by a well-spent £12m per annum Newton Fund.
We seek an energetic, strategic professional who understands science/innovation in a UK and Mexican context, has the credibility to work at CEO and Subsecretario levels, and can provide project management and coordination to a high-performing team.
The role will involve travel, both domestic and occasional travel to UK and other Latin American countries.
Roles and responsibilities:
1. Support to Programme Management:
- Support the Head of Newton Fund in coordinating discussions between UK stakeholders (BEIS regional leads, UK programme management team and UK Delivery Partners) and Mexican partners.
- Assist in facilitating negotiations between the UK and Mexican partners to find the most viable programme solutions.
- Coordinate a long-term portfolio of sustainable and match-funded activity via the Newton Fund, worth £12m per year (one of the largest funds the UK Government has in Mexico).
- Develop strong and positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitor the Newton programmes and assist in developing alternatives to reach the yearly spending targets and strategic policy objectives.
- Understand the needs of the researcher/innovation communities in Mexico and the UK, assist in developing alternative call management structures and ensuring the deadlines are met.
- Coordinate programme spend and contribute to monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
- Develop a corporate role as part of the wider Embassy.
- Build links with States of Mexico to find new collaborations.
- Work with the Head of Newton Fund to provide support in promoting funding opportunities and calls when announced.
- Analyse the current communication strategy and offer alternative ways to reach out to different researcher communities in Mexico / UK.
- Respond to inquiries from Mexican and British researchers regarding the Fund.
- Assist in the communications outreach of the Fund (i.e. development of social media outreach channels/tools for Newton Fund in Mexico).
- Attend project events as required and help building good relations with potential and existing Newton fellows.
- Lead and supervise finance planning and reporting, as well as the implementation of communication strategy by Newton Fund Administrative Assistant and press officer.
- Maximise communications plan through strategic partners and showcase success stories to Newton Fund and Science and Innovation networks, wider audience and to senior UK government officials (FCO and BEIS (Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy)).
- Having excellent presentation skills, organise events with relevant research/innovation communities and talk about the opportunities under the Newton Fund.
3. Administrative Support:
- Assist the Head of Newton Fund in organising / coordinating Newton Fund related meetings, setting agendas and tracking delivery.
- Organise Steering committee meetings; documentation and follow up actions.
- Organise bilateral meetings between UK and Mexican partners.
- Organise logistics for internal and external visits.
- Assist in arranging visits for Science and Innovation / Newton Fund related activities by senior officials, including ministers.
- The job holder will be expected to manage his or her own administrative tasks and support the Head of Newton Fund on administrative tasks as and when required.
All employees in the Embassy network are expected, as part of their job to contribute towards the corporate activity organisation.
- Educated to Master's level in the fields of Public Policy, International Relations or Science related subjects.
- Knowledge of UK and/or Mexican science and innovation institutions and current issues in science and innovation.
- Be a flexible and creative problem-solver, able to come up with innovative solutions to complex problems, and coordinate coherent and compelling programmes and projects.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish.
- Project/Programme management experience, preferably with international stakeholders.
- Experience of providing administrative and logistical support.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work well and have a flexible approach to work whilst under pressure.
- Research and coordination of international & local agendas.
- Experience working on programmes or projects with an international dimension in public, academic or private sectors.
- Coordination of international collaboration programmes in Science & Innovation.
- Medical Insurance
- 50% Holiday Bonus
- 13th Month salary
- 14 days of public holidays
This opportunity is closed to applications.