View Vacancy - Corporate Services Manager (TUR198)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The British Embassy in Ankara, the Consulate General in Istanbul and the coastal posts (Izmir, Marmaris, Antalya, Bodrum and Fethiye) together form the Turkey network. A vacancy has arisen for a Corporate Services Manager in Istanbul.
This role is critical to both the day-to-day and long-term operations of the Consulate. The job holder will report directly to the Deputy Consul General, serving as a key member of the senior management team and working with policy makers in Turkey and London to implement new initiatives.
Working within the wider Turkey network, the Corporate Services Manager is in overall charge of the Istanbul Corporate Services team and its operations. S/he is responsible for the delivery of effective management, finance, procurement, human resources and estates services to 72 UK based, 150 Local staff and 24 British Council staff at a time of rapid change. To do this successfully they need to:
• Set and observe high standards of customer service both personally and throughout their team.
• Ensure FCO corporate policies are implemented fairly, consistently and effectively.
• Lead and manage their team effectively, flexing their style as appropriate to get the best from staff.
• Build strong working relationships with colleagues representing the full range of UK government Ministries, customers and suppliers across the Turkey network, in the Foreign Office in London and other UK posts in the region..
This role requires an experienced manager, who is an innovative, energetic, self-starter. They will be able to see the bigger corporate picture without losing sight of the detail and have the drive and resilience to see a job through.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Leadership and Management (30%):
• Leadership of a team of 30+ to ensure successful day-to-day operation of the Consulate General’s Corporate Services team.
• Work closely with the Head of Corporate Services, Ankara to ensure joined-up delivery across the Turkey network.
• Continuously review business processes and resource management to identify new ways of working and deliver a more effective, efficient and professional operation, supporting staff during major periods of change.
• Membership of Turkey Network Management Board.
• Line Manager to 5 staff, co-line manager to 2 staff, Countersigning Officer for 8 staff.
Finance and Procurement: (10%):
• Day-to-day management of the Consulate General’s finances, ensuring spending remains on budget and maximising value for money in liaison with Turkey network budget manger in Ankara.
• Ensuring compliance with correct accounting procedures and that appropriate key performance indicators are met.
• Reviewing and authorising expense claims.
Human Resources (25%):
• Strategic oversight of operational HR issues across the network.
• Working with the Head of Corporate Services in Ankara, provide guidance on sensitive staff matters for both diplomatic and locally staff, including management issues and dispute resolution.
• Oversee work of the HR Team.
Estates and Security (20%):
• Working with the Technical Works Manager, ensure that the office, residential properties and official vehicles are fully operational as required, underpinned by an ongoing proactive maintenance schedule and value for money.
• In conjunction with the Overseas Security Manager based in Istanbul, ensure security of buildings, staff and information.
Stakeholder Management (15%):
• Close liaison with a wide range of stakeholders including senior managers in the Turkey network and in London, staff at all levels across the Turkey network, suppliers and counterparts in other diplomatic missions.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure): Head of Corporate Services Team which consists of 15 Corporate Services staff + Technical team of 8 + 3 FCO services + Hospitality team of 10. Direct line management of 5 staff, shared line management of 2 staff, counter signatory to 8 staff.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer focus..
• Ability to deliver difficult messages while maintaining empathy for the customer’s situation.
• Ability to work with contacts and colleagues at all levels.
• Personal drive and the ability to be a self-starter as well as a team player.
• Strong organizational, analytical and time management skills, with very good attention to detail.
• Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines.
• Ability to travel occasionally within the region or internationally as needed (approximately 5-10% of the time).
• Willingness to work additional hours as necessary.
• A college/university level degree in Business Management or equivalent experience (e.g. in Corporate hospitality) is preferred.
• At least 2-3 years of management or administrative experience in a managerial capacity, with some experience of managing staff.
• Background in accounting, finance, budgets, human resources or estates preferred.
• Fluent in English, orally and in writing, required.
• Basic Turkish.
• Strong IT computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office, Internet and MS Project.
• Experience with Oracle systems and databases preferred.
• Fluency in Turkish is not necessary but would be an advantage.
This is a full-time permanent contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The annual salary for this position is 120,796.16 TL gross, C4 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate General does not sponsor for work permits.
The successfull candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Learning & Development opportunities: relevant financial and management training either in London or at a Regional Learning and Development Centre. Extensive e-learning. Access to the full range of L&D opportunities offered by the FCO – for instance we would expect the job holder to take advantage of the Global Leadership Development Programme.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.