View Vacancy - Deputy Director - DIT
The British Embassy, Muscat has vacancy for the post of a Deputy Director - DIT, Grade C4 (L).
The post is the deputy lead for the Commercial team in the British Embassy Muscat. The primary purpose of the job is to support UK Companies securing contracts in the oil and gas sector in Oman.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• DIT has designated the Oil and Gas sector in Oman as a High Value Campaign with projects worth $11Bn identified over the next 5 years. You will lead the work to secure in excess of £75M Export Wins in 2017-18 for UK companies and provide significant and measurable help. This will include identifying specific opportunities, lobbying, providing advice, providing market reports/briefings, finding local partners and other services. The job holder will build and maintain an effective and wide network of relationships with businesses customers in this sector.
• Financial Services has been identified as an area with significant potential and Oman is part of a regional campaign to develop this sector. The job holder will lead the work analyse the demand and supply for these services and to develop a campaign for Oman. This will include strong collaboration with colleagues across the region, identifying specific opportunities, lobbying, providing advice, providing market reports/briefings, finding local partners and other services. You will build and maintain an effective and wide network of relationships with businesses customers in this sector.
• The job holder will lead the emerging work on attracting Overseas direct investment from UK to Oman. The job holder will lead the work analyse the specific opportunities and promoting these to UK investors. You will build and maintain an effective and wide network of relationships with businesses customers in this sector, especially with Omani Sovereign Wealth Funds, Duqm Special Economic and Development Zone and banks.
• The job holder will manage three people and lead them to exceed the DIT targets for Oman. These staff focus on Training and Education, Healthcare and Oil and Gas and each have secondary sectors (Mining, Tourism, Fisheries, Retail and Inward Investment) and responsibility for delivering the team’s volume targets.
• The job holder will lead on the day to day management of the budget in accordance with DIT policies and governance arrangements. The job holder will also deputise for the Director as necessary.
The candidate will need to demonstrate the following competencies during the interview:
• Setting Direction: Leading and Communicating: Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
• Engaging People: Collaborating and Partnering: Requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
• Delivering Results: Achieving Commercial Outcomes: Being effective in this area is about maintaining an economic, long-term focus in all activities. It’s about having a commercial, financial and sustainable mind-set to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth.
• Delivering Results: Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. For all staff, it’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
• Engaging People: Building Capability for All: Effectiveness in this area is having a strong focus on continuous learning for oneself, others and the organisation. It’s being open to learning, about keeping one’s own knowledge and skill set current and evolving.
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Awareness the Oil and Gas Sector in Oman
• Experience of working in DIT/UKTI (or comparable organisation), or demonstrable experience of undertaking business development activities in an international context.
• Prepared to travel to the UK and occasionally within the region for events and/or training.
• Proficient in the use of computers.
• Knowledge of business management and Corporate Governance.
• Experience of working in Oman.
• Experience of undertaking business development ideally within the Oil and Gas Sector in Oman and Financial Services sectors.
• Experience of working within DIT/UKTI.
• Experience of budget management.
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for the role, including: salary of 1400 Omani Riyals per month inclusive of all allowances; recreational facilities including a swimming pool and social club.
Normal working hours are 07:30 – 14:30 Sunday to Thursday. You will occasionally be required to attend evening functions.
The Embassy has excellent working conditions and recreational facilities including a swimming pool and social club. There is a holiday entitlement of 30 days per year (pro rated) following successful completion of a 3 month probation period. Holidays that have already been booked will be honoured. There are also national holidays determined annually by the Embassy which usually total 14 days per year. Training will be provided as necessary.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. A covering letter.
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
The closing date for applications is 21 May 2017.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Telephone applications and enquiries will not be accepted.
The successful applicant's employment will only be confirmed after the completion of any security clearance/checks. The checks can take several weeks to complete and the applicant will only be employed if the UK security clearance is granted.
The British Embassy Muscat is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Muscat Employment Law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.