View Vacancy - Head of Communications
Main purpose of job:
The British Embassy is seeking a new Head of Communications. The ideal candidate will be an energetic leader with a proven experience in managing high calibre communications campaigns, overseeing diverse teams, responding rapidly to shifting demands, and with a good understanding of the UK political scenario and Brazilian audiences. This position oversees the 11 person team responsible for explaining and promoting the UK in Brazil through media relations, digital outreach, events and strategic communications and marketing campaigns. The ideal candidate will be able to translate UK government objectives into team priorities and engagement with Brazilian audiences. It is a rewarding and fast-paced role that will allow the successful candidate to work across varied policy areas and with diverse stakeholders in Brazil and the UK. An ability to work flexibly and responsively, deliver through a team and respond both proactively and reactively to political developments and UK interests in Brazil is essential.
Roles and responsibilities:
Oversee external communications strategies to promote the UK in Brazil:
- Delivering results-driven communications to promote UK interests in Brazil through media relations, marketing campaigns, event management, digital diplomacy, and focused engagement with target audiences (business, academia, youth, investors).
- Promoting the priorities and objectives of different UK government departments with interests in Brazil including the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Department for International Trade, the Departmentment for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and Number 10. This will cover diverse areas, from climate change to investment.
- Leading media and public engagement advice for visiting VIPs (from the Prime Minister to the Royal Households).
- Responding to unexpected events or political developments in the UK by identifying opportunities for messaging to Brazilian audiences.
- Advising the Ambassador, Consuls and senior government officials on engagement with the Brazilian media, including through TV appearances, blogs, op-eds, and speeches
Oversee internal communications in the UK in Brazil network:
- Delivering targeted and informative internal communication campaigns to promote cohesiveness and best practice in the UK in Brazil network, including what’s on in the network, corporate issues and learning and development.
Lead the communications team in Brazil and contribute to communications work in the Americas network:
- Deliver the above through a talented and diverse communications team of 11 based across 3 posts in Brazil (Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro) by providing strategic direction and support.- ensure team has right skills, training and resources (including travel and entertainment budget) to deliver to consistently high standards.
- Work with the head of communications for the Americas (based in Washington) to promote best practice in communications in the Americas and to support other posts in the region when necessaryW
- Five years experience in communications, including with a governmental or international organisation or with media outlets.
- Proven experience in managing a team and delivering through others.
- Ability to prioritise, work flexible and operate under pressure.
- Track record in delivering and overseeing effective communications strategies with tangible results.
- Deep knowledge of Brazilian audiences and contacts in the media.
- Understanding of UK politics, economy and government priorities.
- Understanding of British media outlets and new agencies.