View Vacancy - INTERNAL VACANCY - Entry Clearance Officer UKVI
The Visas and Citizenship department of UK Visas and Immigration provides the overseas arm of UK’s immigration control via a network of global visa processing hubs with the largest of these handling upwards of 300k applications a year. Our visa hub in New York provides UK visa services to customers across the US, Canada and the Caribbean and has an annual intake of approximately 117k applications.
Our New York team is committed to providing a world class visa service, and team members are expected to be flexible, make fair and defensible decisions on visa applications quickly and balance delivery of excellent customer service with the requirement to maintain the integrity of the immigration control. We are an innovative, adaptable and enthusiastic team. We are inclusive and encourage each other to make suggestions to improve our processes and performance in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Applications are invited for the position of Entry Clearance Officer at the British Consulate in New York. Entry Clearance Officers are at the heart of our work making high quality, efficient and non-discriminatory decisions on who can and cannot enter the UK.
This position is a one year contract and is open to internal candidates only.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Deciding visa applications in accordance with the UK Immigration Rules, analyzing information to reach a decision quickly which can be justified orally and in writing
- Handling applications within specific challenging time scales; meeting performance standards
- Handling correspondence and preparing reports and replies in clear, concise, plain English
- Some clerical and other administrative tasks which will involve lifting and carrying heavy boxes
- Line management of Entry Clearance Assistants
- Support the continuous improvement within the team and to work collaboratively with colleagues on change initiatives
- Other tasks and/or project work as delegated by UKVI New York management, in line with operational/developmental needs
- Retain a current UK security clearance (CONFIDENTIAL).
- Have taken and passed the ECO or BAECO tests.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Computer literate with accurate typing skills of at least 25 words per minute. Please provide evidence of typing skills of at least 25 words per minute (i.e. the Pitman elementary level typing speed). You can check your typing speed by entering the words 'typing test' into a search engine such as Google and selecting one of the providers of free typing speed tests. You must print out your result as evidence of your competence and bring it with you to the interview.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with little supervision and meet challenging targets on a daily basis.
- Capable of making quick decisions in accordance with set rules and able to show that these decisions are fair and just on all occasions.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a target driven environment
- An excellent team player - this is an all for one, and one for all environment;
- Flexible and positive about working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated department, which is working at the forefront of visa work. We are committed to improving standards and procedures - and we are looking for like-minded employees;
- An excellent representative of UKVI International, the British Consulate and of the UK Government.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*.
If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
- Previous UK Immigration experience would be an advantage for this operational decision making role but it is not essential.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
The British Embassy Network offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Flexible working is available for team members. We strive to provide our staff with the best work/life balance as is sustainable by the operation.
Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 22 May 2017. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor if they intend on applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.