View Vacancy - Regional Capacity Building Assistant - A2, Colombo
Main purpose of the job:
The British High Commission is looking to recruit a Regional Capacity Building Assistant (RCBA) to work in the Immigration Enforcement International (IEI) office in Colombo to support and implement programmes of upstream border capacity building in South and South East Asia region. The wider objectives of this programme are:
- Improved border and migration management capacity in key irregular migration source countries - supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved capacity to sustainably re-integrate and rehabilitate returned migrants, including victims of trafficking - supporting increased returns and improved protection for vulnerable groups.
- Improved upstream co-operation on tackling the push factors that drive irregular migration at source - supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved value for money – Working upstream, at source, to prevent and reduce illegal immigration to the UK to reduce downstream costs to the UK taxpayer. Building capacity of key partners through frequent, targeted, responsive and intelligent liaison/expertise transfer as a more cost effective approach than large scale programming and/or equipment investment.
- Improved security system management through building capability to detect fraudulent documents and prevent inadequately documented passengers from travelling; increasing investigation and intelligence skills to tackle the underlying criminality behind immigration crime.
The Successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Regional Capacity Building Officers (RCBOs) in the capacity building programme in Official Development Assistance (ODA) countries. The roles will focus on developing technical knowledge and strengthening institutional capacity on migration, human trafficking and border security management, aiming at long-term sustainability. The programmes aim to build capacity in three areas:
- Developing institutional capacity;
- Developing human capacity; and
- Developing operational capacity.
The position is for an initial one year contract and may be subject to renewal.
Regular regional travel across South and South East Asian region will be required. Please take this into consideration when applying for the position.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with IEI team/RCBOs and external/internal stakeholders to oversee and coordinate capacity building activity in ODA countries. Assist in developing a clear and coherent programme of capacity building plans.
- Work with RCBOs to develop and deliver training courses, as well as "training the trainers" programmes in order to facilitate knowledge sharing.
- Assist the RCBOs/Immigration Liaison Manager in managing financial/budgetary planning, exercise quality control over all procedures and documents, and ensure proper follow-up as necessary.
- Assist and coordinate timely submissions of reporting on programmes, including ad hoc, monthly, interim, quarterly, annual and end-of-project reports.
- Provide logistical support for RCBO's in order to train delegates. This will include organising flights, accommodation and venue arrangements for both delegates and RCBOs.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
The successful candidate will be expected to adhere to the FCO policy and guidance on expenditure when carrying out their duties. This may include but not limited to, flight booking, accommodation and venue booking and procuring items.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The successful candidate will be assisting in the presenting of training material to a variety of different agencies and personnel. As such the successful candidate will become proficient in the courses that IEI provide such as forgery, profiling, document examination etc.
Language: English / Sinhala or Tamil
Level of language required: Fluent / Conversational
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
Essential on arrival:
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Must possess good computer skills with familiarity in Microsoft Office packages.
- Previous work experience in a training environment is preferable.
- Interpretation and Translation skills from English to Sinhala/Tamil and vice versa.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, starting salary will be LKR 90,651 + 12% EPF + 3% ETF per month. Other benefits include 13 month’s salary and medical insurance coverage.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system. The High Commission takes pride in its organisational culture and its strong and diverse team. We offer leave entitlements as per Sri Lankan labour laws.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
Please note that applications will only be considered with (a), (b) and (c):
(a) Complete the Online Application Form
(b) Attach a detailed CV
(c) Complete the Motivation Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, and check for the eligibility clause if on probation, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications received by midnight on 13th October 2019.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with. However, the status will be updated on the recruitment software which will be viewed by the applicant.
- The appointment will be subject to police and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Those who advance in the selection process will be interviewed based on the competencies above.
PLEASE NOTE – Applicants that are successful in obtaining an interview will be asked to demonstrate their proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
- The British High Commission in Colombo is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by The British High Commission in Colombo is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
- The successful candidate will be subject to reference checking and security clearances checks.
This opportunity is closed to applications.