View Vacancy - Pro-Consul (HUN19.522)
The British Embassy in Budapest is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are now looking for an independent, well organised and proactive Pro-Consul with prior experience in customer service for the Consular Section at the British Embassy in Budapest. The Consular team in Hungary is part of the wider EuroAsia Consular region that includes twenty-nine countries. The job holder will be providing modern and efficient consular assistance and fee-bearing services to British Nationals in Hungary and will contribute to the delivery of the regional consular business plan and the country business plan. We expect the job holder to participate in more strategic communication strategies and to use his/her lobbying and influencing skills with higher level stakeholders.The job holder is furthermore expected to contribute to wider Consular Network and Embassy objectives and to support its positive working environment and to actively participate in Learning & Development efforts.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- Strategic network and outreach event planning with external contacts and stakeholders (local authorities, NGOs etc.) including delivering presentations;
- Providing consular assistance across the full range of casework to British Nationals with special attention to vulnerable customers which includes visiting prisoners, dealing with people in hospital, victims of crime, distressed British nationals etc. Liaising with London Special Advisors and local authorities;
- Influencing, lobbying and networking with all stakeholders on a relevant level, amongst which colloque partners, MFA, cantonal authorities, NGO’s and associations;
- Regional travel and outreach is required;
- Managing expectations of British Nationals to what assistance they can expect according to circumstances; signposting of British Nationals to the relevant information sources and creating awareness of their own responsibility;
- Handling consular correspondence, telephone enquiries, and counter enquiries and services;
- Leading the consular section and team during leave and absence periods, effectively covering the Vice Consul (VC);
- Cashier duties (daily / weekly / monthly; exchange rate; weekly credit card fees sheet);
- Managing the online appointments booking system;
- Updating/maintaining the consular content on GOV.uk for Hungary such as living in guides, prisoner pack, bereavement pack, informative notes in order to be able to signpost British Nationals to the relevant information; ensuring all information and lists provided are accurate and up to date;
- Organise and update consular information (Consular/Crisis Contact list, GRC information, Consular Hub);
- Handling of incoming mail, including (death) notifications and Lost/stolen/recovered passports;
- Printing and issuing of Emergency Travel Documents, including working stock responsibilities;
- Administering Service of Process;
Outreach and prevention
- Identifying and implementing network/country specific prevention campaigns as laid down in the regional Business Plan; liaising with local stakeholders and defining the strategy with the VC (deliverables / campaign / outcome);
- Close collaboration with the Embassy media team and the other regional missions in delivering a regional prevention plan;
Notarial work and documentary services
- Preparing paperwork for all fee-bearing services according to the latest guidance;
- Signing fee-bearing services, where applicable;
- Interviewing and issuing Affidavits;
- Updating the consular elements of the Crisis Management Plan (CMP) and taking part in Post/Section crisis preparedness activities (CMP, Crisis Hub training; crisis exercises organised by partners);
- Assisting in Post preparation and response to large-scale events, responding to mass casualty incidents or crises (Crisis Field team officer and Deputy Consular Manager);
- Participate in relevant corporate structures (i) as part of corporate responsibilities, and (ii) as part of personal development;
- To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job;
- Participate in delivering the regional Business Plan as well as having a strong interest in the Embassy Business Plan;
- Having good awareness of the general Consular Strategy and work according to the principles as set out in the strategy;
- Expectation to contribute to working and best practise groups;
- Excellent oral and written Hungarian and English;
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills;
- Adaptability and a positive mind set towards change and working as part of a wider team;
- Self motivated and able to work effectively and proactively without close supervision;
- IT skills, especially Office 365;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Customer service: previous experience in a customer facing role and ability to response to a wide range of customer needs;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility, resilience, patience, and the ability to deal with difficult situations, including the ability to work unsocial hours in an emergency or crisis;
- Ability to display a high level of discretion and responsibility;
- Some ability to work flexibly, outside of standard Consular office opening hours;
- Experience in a similar role;
- Higher education;
- Knowledge of the Hungarian administrative, justice & legal systems and social services;
- Influencing and lobbying skills;
This is a 2 year fixed-term contract, with an option to extend . It is a full-time position of 5 days (35 hours net per week).
Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. You must have pre-existing work authorisation for Hungary in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to Hungarian employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Hungary and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility information will be shared during the recruitment process.
Please be advised that Consular positions at the FCO entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape, assault, post-mortems, prison visits and highly distressed customers. Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline".
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.