View Vacancy - Education and Digital Trade Advisor C4 (16/20 ACC)
Background & Purpose of the Job
You will join the Department for International Trade’s Africa network in a new role that will provide leadership and co-ordination to our work in Ghana on education and digital. These are two critical areas for the UK’s work in Ghana and the focus of this role will be ensuring that the UK private sector fulfills its role in supporting the Government of Ghana to achieve its ambitious digitalisation and education agendas.
You will be networked closely with colleagues from across HMG working on prosperity issues as DIT can only successfully deliver our commercial ambitions by working seamlessly as part of joint and coordinated prosperity teams alongside the Department for International Development (DFID) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). This is an exciting time to join DIT Africa, as we expand our resources and ambition to deliver the objectives contained within the DIT Africa Regional Trade Plan.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the Trade Promotion and Negotiation Organisation for the UK. We promote UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries. Our aspiration is to address some of the challenges facing the UK, by helping British businesses to internationalise and grow overseas.
This role will seek to maximise on the capacity of the UK private sector to contribute to Ghana’s ambitious digitilisation and education sector plans, leading the development and execution of a strategy that harnesses UK capabilities and products to support the development of these areas in Ghana. The impact of COVID-19 will present both challenges and opportunities for the UK’s trade presence in Ghana, and the post holder will need to have a strong focus on how the UK offer can support Ghana’s post COVID-19 recovery.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
This is a new position that will provide much needed leadership in two strategic growth sectors for the UK in Ghana. There are clear opportunities in Ghana for UK companies, and we expect these to gain further traction post COVID-19, building on the work of the UK Government’s Digital Service and other agencies. The digital sector continues to grow in Ghana, and is one of the key strategic sectors of focus for the UK-Ghana Business Council. This role will need to build and manage a strong network in order to position the UK as the partner of choice in the education and digital sectors in Ghana, working closely with DFID, FCO, GDS and the British Council to ensure that the UK offer is showcased effectively and results in export wins for UK companies.
The role will focus on the following key areas:
- Lead on the UK in Ghana’s cross government digital efforts, including leading on the UKAID funded Government Digital Service partnership;
- Develop and deliver a sector plan for digital and education that supports the GoG’s development agendas in both areas, working closely with colleagues in DIT, DFID and the FCO;
- Identify opportunities in the education and digital sectors for UK companies, building a pipeline of projects in the education and digital sectors;
- Deliver trade missions and events;
- Triage and support queries from UK companies on an ad hoc basis, working closely with the Trade Services Unit and the UK-Ghana Chamber of Commerce;
- Support UK investment opportunities into the digital sector.
The position holder will need to be flexible in their approach to this role, and may be expected from time to time to support opportunities in other sectors as they arise, with support from other members of the team e.g. healthcare. The role will be line managed by the Country Director in order to enable effective XHMG join-up on the sectors of focus.
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- 3+ years experience in the digital and/or education sectors in Ghana;
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
- Project or programme management experience;
- Experience working with senior level stakeholders.
- Experience working with the Government of Ghana;
- Event management experience.
Learning and development opportunities:
The successful applicant will have access to a range of Learning and Development opportunities with in-house and e-learning, with the potential for overseas training. From time to time there will be requirements to assist other teams within the Department, building overall resilience and broader experience.
This is a full time position.
- This role is subject to change, removal or amendment from advert at short notice.
- Please note start date is subject to the British High Commission reopening.
- This role is Accra based and reports to the Country Director for the UK Department for International Trade in Ghana, also based in Accra.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Accra and Ghana more widely.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghana employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.