View Vacancy - Economic Analyst
Main purpose of job:
The British High Commission is inviting applications for a newly created Economic Analyst position within the Economics and Trade Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing reporting on Canadian economy for HM Government departments, liaison work with the finance ministry to advocate UK international economic priorities, and provide research support for ad hoc requests.
The jobholder will work closely with a wider team covering the broad range of bilateral economic portfolios, and play a supporting role in cross-team work to strengthen UK-Canada relations in advance of the UK’s departure from the European Union. There will also be ad hoc requirements to work with the British Consulates-General in Canada.
The jobholder will need to be adaptable to emerging organisation priorities and be called upon to assist in other portfolios as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce reporting on developments in the Canadian economy, and their relevance for the British government and UK companies in the Canadian market. Ensure reporting products are tailored to appropriate audiences in the Foreign Office, HM Treasury, Bank of England, and covering the broad range of fiscal, monetary, and microeconomic issues.
- Build relationships with key interlocutors in the Canadian government to ensure UK international economic priorities are advanced through institutions such as the G20, G7, IMF, etc. Identify opportunities to leverage senior members of staff where appropriate. Build relationships with key business, academic, and think tank organisations.
- Provide ad hoc research in response to requests from HM Government departments on a range of economic, social, and labour policy issues. Ensure UK audience clearly understands Canadian best practice and lessons learned.
- Contribute as required to briefing products in advance of meetings to ensure ministers and/or senior officials are suitably prepared.
- Manage visit programmes as required for incoming UK government delegations related to the jobholder’s portfolio.
• An undergraduate degree in economics, business, or related discipline
• Knowledge of current trends in the Canadian economy and key drivers
• Understanding of the Canadian federal system, and machinery of the federal government
• Ability to write clearly for range of audiences in varying degrees of detail
• Proven ability to work within changing circumstances and willingness to be adaptable to new priorities
• A graduate degree in economics or related discipline
• Experience working in the Canadian federal government, industry association, or other diplomatic mission
• Knowledge of UK government international economic priorities
The position requires pre-existing legal status to live and work in Canada and will be subject to satisfactory reference checks and successful receipt of local and overseas security clearances.
The successful candidate will be subject to satisfactory references and local and overseas security clearances and a six month probation period.
Please note that out-of-hours work and travel may occasionally arise.
The British Government Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, pension, in addition to generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Canadian employment law.
Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 19 July 2017. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British High Commission is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.