View Vacancy - Communications & Engagement Officer (02/17 DKR)
Main purpose of job:
To improve and maintain a high level of communication and engagement with stakeholders and boost the profile of the UK government and the British Embassy Dakar both within Senegal and more widely.
Roles and responsibilities :
The successful candidate would propose and implement innovative ways for the Embassy to engage with the people that traditional diplomacy does not always reach.
The jobholder will develop the Embassy’s network and oversee relationships with the media and communications contacts.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and managing Embassy events ranging from the annual Queen’s Birthday Party celebration for 500 people to launch events for projects and promotional events for British companies. Strong organisational skills are essential, along with creative flair and an eye for detail.
This position is great opportunity to join our vibrant, expanding Embassy, contributing to a growing partnership between the UK and Senegal.
Key work-streams will include:
- Planning and delivering communications campaigns to maximise the visibility and impact of the UK’s interventions in Senegal.
- Developing, monitoring and evaluating the Embassy’s social media presence.
- Planning and delivering high-impact events at the Residence and elsewhere.
- Liaising with the media and other key partners in communicating the UK’s role in Senegal.
- Writing speeches and talking points for senior members of the team for use at events and with the media.
Ability to communicate clearly in writing and orally, creativity/ability to develop ideas,
a “can do attitude”, and a determination to be productive and to deliver results;
Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
Good customer service skills.
- Communications background. Events management experience
This is a 12 month contract with a renewal option.
Regular opportunities for formal training courses and other Learning and Development opportunities in the UK and the region
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Dakar are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in country.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Senegal with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Senegal will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.