View Vacancy - Political Analyst
Main purpose of job:
To provide accurate and insightful analysis on political developments in Chile in order to inform the development of UK Foreign Policy and support the British Embassy, Santiago to strengthen a positive and constructive bilateral relationship with Chile.
Roles and responsibilities:
This is a central job in the Embassy, helping other staff in Commercial, Defence, Press and Prosperity teams to appreciate the relevance of political developments in Chile and the region in the pursuit of their own objectives. The job holder provides up-to-date socio-political analysis to senior staff in the Embassy and helps to shape the UK Government’s understanding of current events in Chile, critical to the development of our policy to the Country. The job holder will need to develop a good understanding of UK foreign policy in the region, and be prepared to represent the UK Government with respect to these policies when interacting with the Chilean Government and other institutions.
The job holder is responsible for managing a wide range of contacts in think tanks, academic institutions, political parties and civil society organisations aside of government ministries in order to maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of Chilean political and social developments.
Strong analytical and written skills are necessary in order to prepare regular formal reports for the Ambassador and for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London; the job holder is frequently called upon to brief visitors, commercial contacts and other team members and should also be a confident speaker.
The job holder will:
- Develop analysis on Chilean political events and trends for the Ambassador and other senior members of the Embassy.
- Prepare formal reports for the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office covering the policies, goals and objectives of the Chilean Government, politics and foreign policy.
- Lobby the Chilean government with respect to UK foreign policy objectives.
- Plan and program inward visits for UK Ministers, members of parliament and other senior officials.
- Liaise with Chilean politicians, think tanks, NGO’s, universities and International Organisations based in Chile maintain a wide range of contacts in Chilean society.
- Understanding of Chilean foreign policy and international relations.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Spanish.
- University degree in Political Science, Economics, International Relations, or a related field.
- Proven research and reporting skills.
- Able to deal with multiple tasks and priorities.
- Problem-solving, attention to detail and efficient administrative skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- IT literacy in electronic media, MS Outlook and MS Office packages.
- A willingness to work flexibly and as a team-player.
- Ability to interact with people at all levels of seniority.
- Previous experience in working with international organisations and organising visits.
This role is initially limited to a four month contract period to cover a staff absence in the lead up to congressional and presidential elections in Chile. There is a chance that the contract will be extended.
This opportunity is closed to applications.