View Vacancy - Deputy US Head of Technology Sector (INTERNAL VACANCY)
***This position is only for internal applicants currently appointed to a RP8 position. The position's location is TBD***
Our USA DIT Tech team consists of 21.3 FTE (FDI: 14 + Trade: 7.3) across 26 individual people in all 9 posts. The team consists of 12 TIOs in addition to the Sector Lead and 13 BDA/BDMs. Some also cover C&M. This is DITs largest and top performing FDI team, globally, with ambition and potential to become a top performing trade team too. The team focuses on all priority subsectors; Artificial Intelligence, Cloud, Communications, Cyber Security, Data Management & Analytics, Electronics Systems, Semicon Design, Sensors. The team is delivering 2 High Value Campaigns with FDI target of 110, Trade target of £55m Export Wins and total budget of £292k.
The successful applicant will be part of a local DIT team in one of the 9 posts and will support the Technology Head of Sector, managing the national Tech Sector Team of 26. He/she will continue to engage with clients and stakeholders in their home post region in their TIO role and report to their existing line manager in their existing role. A 10% uplift in salary will reflect the additional responsibilities.
• Serve as Deputy US Head of Sector and work closely with the Technology Head of Sector to coordinate the US Technology Campaign and guide achievement of targets by the US Technology Team.
• Cover Trade & Investment. Support execution of an ambitious strategy to drive growth of UK tech exports, across priority subsectors. Work in conjunction with colleagues across the US as well as in the UK to ensure the continued growth of high value, tech sector foreign direct investment into the UK.
• Facilitate and find effective new ways of working, facilitate collaborating with internal stakeholders and regional partners.
• Support the team in execution of the digital and social media marketing, email marketing elements of the Tech Campaign, to ensure both short and longer term awareness raising objectives are met.
• Provide mentoring and guidance to the US team to upskill them, to quickly replicate best practice and to ensure delivery is maximised and targets are met. This will include guiding and coaching; opportunity mapping and prioritising, lead generation, building buyer relationships, managing pipelines, and, building optimal partnerships with the private sector and across government.
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
• Eight to ten years relevant work experience in business development, ideally in the technology sector.
• Sound knowledge of the US and UK’s Tech investment proposition, including incorporation, tax, employment and R&D propositions
• Sound knowledge of the UK capability trade proposition, supply companies and the challenges presented by the US market
• The candidate should have a solid understanding of both the US and UK business environments, in addition to public versus private sector operations.
• Clear motivation and personal commitment to effecting change and meeting challenging targets with a demonstrable track record of achievement.
• Proven line management experience, ability to deliver tactical operations through others and to influence without control.
• Proven track record meeting DIT tech targets and building pipeline.
• Strong client account management, project management.
• Excellent research, analysis and report writing skills, particularly the ability to produce high quality outputs.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a closely-knit team towards shared goals and strong networking skills.
• Strong written and oral communication (including presentation) skills.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy atwww.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 12 July 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.