View Vacancy - Trade Officer
The successful applicant will work as part of the DIT network across Canada, promoting UK exports by assisting British companies to develop their business in Canada and by helping Canadian companies source British goods, services and business partners.
• Complete tailored market research for UK companies in a variety of sectors across Canada including in the Infrastructure, Financial Services, Technology, Creative Industries sectors.
• Respond to a large volume of general enquiries from the UK in varied sectors regarding export and provide market advice.
• Assist and account manage UK companies to develop their business in Canada, maintaining a network of contacts in the public and private sector to identify business opportunities for sales of UK products and services.
• Contribute to market intelligence to inform future strategy, sectors briefs, and business planning.
• Assist Canadian companies in sourcing British goods and services through business opportunities.
• Attend key business events to promote UK capabilities in the sectors listed above.
• Plan and organise programmes for trade missions, official visits or other events.
• Successfully use social and digital media (Twitter, blogs) to publicise UK-related trade activities in Canada.
**This is a two-year long-term contract
• Bachelor or college degree.
• Minimum of three years’ experience working in a professional and client focused environment, in particular in government administration/economic development, business development, export promotion, or importing.
• Industry knowledge, in particular, of the Infrastructure, Financial and Professional Services, Technology, and Creative Industries sectors, including key players in Canada.
• Proactive, self-starter, with the desire to identify and develop new business opportunities and contacts.
• Positive team player, and flexible in their approach to work.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to flex these to engage with a range of internal DIT colleagues across the network, and external contacts at different levels in public and private sector organisations.
• Fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills intended for a business audience. Knowledge of French would be an asset.
• Strong research, analysis and report writing/editorial skills.
• Strong customer service skills with excellent attention to detail.
• Experience with cold calling/cold approaching and follow up.
• Experience coordinating events.
• Proven skills in time management and prioritization, and the ability to effectively manage, and execute multiple and competing tasks under tight deadlines.
• Familiarity with the Canadian business and government environment. Experience or knowledge of the UK business and government environment would be an asset.
• Proficiency in MS Office Applications
The position requires pre-existing legal status to live and work in Canada and will be subject to satisfactory reference checks and successful receipt of local and overseas security clearances.
The successful candidate will be subject to satisfactory references and local and overseas security clearances and a six month probation period.
Please note that out-of-hours work and travel may occasionally arise.
The British Government Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, pension, in addition to generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Canadian employment law.
Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 17 July 2017. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British High Commission is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.