View Vacancy - Estates Manager B3 (12/17 ADD)
Main purpose of job:
To lead a team to deliver a safe and comfortable estates and housing for Embassy staff.
Roles and responsibilities:
To lead a team to deliver effectively and efficiently all the estate responsibilities for the Embassy, working closely with the Technical Works Group, including:
- support the Estates Team to learn and develop in their area of work
- ensure that a high standard of customer service is maintained at all times
- find more efficient and value for money ways to maintain the Embassy’s estate
To oversee the rental housing stock and ensure that there is sufficient housing for a constantly changing workforce:
- keep track of changing housing needs, identify when houses will become surplus or not enough to accommodate staff.
- make recommendations for changes to the housing stock
- provide the Technical Works Group with the information they need about staff departure and arrivals to ensure houses are properly maintained
- ensure utilities readings are taken from properties and utilities bills are paid
To support the process of allocating housing to new members of staff:
- ensure prior to arrival that staff are fully informed of the process and have the information they need to make bids, working closely with the Community Liaison Officer
- act as Secretary to the Embassy’s Housing Committee. Ensure that the committee has the information required to make correct decisions
- ensure that staff have accommodation on arrival, arranging temporary accommodation where necessary
As the Embassy’s health and safety officer, to ensure that all offices, Embassy amenities and housing meet central health and safety standards:
- carry out six monthly risk assessments
- ensure action points from those assessments are implemented quickly
- act as Secretary to the Embassy’s Health and Safety Committee, chaired by the Ambassador, ensure that the committee has all the relevant information required to demonstrate that the Embassy is compliant with UK health and safety legislation
To ensure that all houses and offices are furnished in accordance with centrally set standards:
- keep track of existing furniture
- identify future furniture needs and spare parts required by the Technical Works Group
- Arrange value for money procurement whenever possible.
- ensure a float of essential supplies is available to staff on arrival and departure, for allocation by the Community Liaison Officer
To manage the estates budget of £ 130,000.00
- plan and spend within the available resources
- ensuring value for money and identify areas where efficiency savings can be made
To ensure all records are kept up to date and logged on the appropriate systems, including the property maintenance database pyramid.
- Leading a team
- Managing a budget
- Customer service
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Driving licence
- Familiarity with using basic computer packages such as outlook, word and excel
Applications for flexible working that still achieve 36 hours per week are invited. The applicant should set out how they would fulfil the key responsibilities of the job while carrying out the flexible pattern they have in mind.
The Embassy actively supports all staff continually learning and developing. Each member of staff will agree a plan with their line manager every year. Opportunities include
Training will be provided in:
- embassy appraisal system, leading a team and good line management
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ethiopia with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British Embassy in Addis Ababa is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
This opportunity is closed to applications.