View Vacancy - Head of Estates and Health & Safety
Main purpose of job:
To lead, motivate and manage the 4 person Estates team in planning and project managing a full range of estates duties and construction/maintenance projects, as set out in more detail below and in line with the Corporate Services Team’s (CST) goal to provide a first-class service in support of Embassy staff, their Sections and the Embassy’s wider objectives under the Country Business Plan. Follow and implement the Health and Safety measures by the FCO, around the Embassy and its properties.
Roles and responsibilities:
Manage own time and workload effectively, and oversee the work of the Estates and Health and Safety team, in order to deliver on the following roles and responsibilities of the job in line with the Corporate Services Charter:
Estates Management/Health and Safety
- Lead on project management of the section: proactive planning, prioritisation, obtaining quotations and/or putting out to tender, conceptual and practical delivery and completion of estates project works within health & safety, environmental and budgetary parameters; and actively manage projects to completion to the required standard in close consultation with the Technical Works Officer (TWO), Health & Safety (H&S) Committee and other relevant stakeholders;
- Actively manage H&S: completion to deadline, and in line with budget and handling risks, keeping senior managers updated and abreast of ongoing works and new developments along the way;
- Policy making and updating: In close co-operation with the TWO and H&S Committee, proactively manage Estates H&S policies, keeping files and records, and providing advice and instruction to staff and contractors at the contractual stage of projects and while works are taking place;
- Updating the Mini Building Housing Risk Assessment, seeking advice from Estates and Security Directorate (ESD) and TWO with regard to H&S process, procedures and responsibilities;
- Approve purchases in line with requisition, budget and charging instructions;
- Maintain a comprehensive inventory of Estates items at the Embassy, outer offices, Residence, and accommodation using Pyramid as appropriate;
- Assist with the organisation of large scale Embassy events, as necessary;
- Active contribution as a member of the Health and Safety Committee and Post Housing Committee;
- Other ad-hoc tasks as required by the Head of Corporate Services or the Deputy HCS.
Core Prism Approver
- Set up Suppliers, approve Requisitions and monitor Receipt of goods and services on Prism;
- Back-up to primary approvers when they are away;
- Keep abreast of any changes to the Prism Chart of Accounts.
- Control, monitor and forecast Estates budgets, including Utilities, and Maintenance & Capital Works;
- Value for money purchasing of Estates and maintenance items;
- Project management of the budget, ensuring spend is in line with priorities.
Learning and Development
Develop and implement an effective and relevant personal Performance Development Plan (PDP) as part of the annual appraisal cycle.
- Active participation in the Embassy on a corporate level, including crisis and other corporate activities.
- All employees in the Embassy network are expected, as part of their job to contribute towards the corporate activity organisation
- Strong team manager.
- Proactive profile.
- Ability to work with multifunctional team.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent delivery, with an eye for detail.
- 3+ years experience in a similar role (e.g. Project Management, Architecture, Facilities Manager).
- Good organisational skills and ability to prioritise and manage concurrent tasks and conflicting deadlines.
- Adaptability to work with other sections, some overseas.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, architecture, construction management or similar.
- Project Management qualification(s).
- AutoCAD experience.
- UK H&S knowledge & experience.
- Use of accountancy software (ORACLE or similar).
- 14 days of public holidays
- 16 days of annual leave during the first year then 20 days on the second year.
- 50% holiday bonus
- 13th Month salary
- Medical Insurance
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Team of four staff: 1xA2 Accommodation Officer; 1xA2 Maintenance Officer; 1xS2 Handyman/Relief Driver; 1xS2 Handyman;
- Budget allocation for Estates: Utilities, Maintenance and Projects approved by ESD/TWO, Capital works.
This opportunity is closed to applications.