View Vacancy - Welsh Government Regional Manager for Middle East and North Africa (INTERNAL VACANCY)
The primary purpose of the post is to lead and manage the delivery of the Welsh Government’s strategic objectives for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region in line with the approach outlined in the Welsh Government’s overarching International Strategy document and the MENA office’s Business Plan.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The MENA office is a key trade and investment market for Wales. As a result, this area of work forms a large part of this role’s activities. The post holder is required to work closely with Welsh SMEs and Wales based trade, investment and sector team colleagues in supporting the growth of Welsh exports to MENA and in promoting Wales as an excellent location in which to invest, study and visit.
The post holder is also responsible for developing and nurturing networks within MENA that help the office achieve its objectives as well as identifying potential trade and investment opportunities; the provision of advice and guidance to Welsh businesses and colleagues on local trading conditions, cultural considerations, etc and supporting the organisation and delivery of visiting trade delegations.
In addition, the post holder is required to develop and maintain effective working relations with key partners throughout MENA. These include Senior FCO Diplomats, key staff in the Department of International Trade (DIT), Scottish Development International (SDI) and Invest Northern Ireland (INI) and others such as the Welsh Societies in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi, British Business Groups, Energy Industries Council, etc.
The post holder is regularly required to engage directly with Ministers and senior officers in Government as well as other high-level contacts within businesses and organisations in both Wales and MENA. Regular speaking engagements and presentations also feature heavily in this role. The post also features a strong representational role for Wales at key events aimed at support the delivery of trade and inward investment opportunities for Wales as well as raising the profile of Wales in other areas such as culture, sport, tourism and education.
Success will primarily be measured through the identification of quality business leads, the delivery of successful trade missions/fairs and securing trade deals/inward investment projects.
- Develop and implement a strategic business plan to deliver the Welsh Government’s trade, investment and wider objectives for the MENA region. This will be produced in consultation with trade, investment, sector team and other colleagues in Wales to ensure that the plan reflects the priorities of all stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the business issues, dynamics, drivers and trends within the MENA region and use this knowledge to deliver the aims and objectives outlined in the MENA Business Plan.
- Work closely with Wales based trade and investment focussed colleagues and Wales based SMEs in supporting the growth of Welsh exports to MENA by providing market intelligence, advice, guidance and business leads.
- Provide extensive in-market support for the effective delivery of a number of visiting trade delegations from Wales to key markets and trade shows in MENA.
- Develop a strategic approach to unearthing appropriate investment opportunities for Wales by raising the profile of the ‘Welsh investment offer’ and Pitch Book amongst key contacts within MENA. This includes undertaking meetings with potential investors to discuss their proposed project, delivering presentations on the Welsh offer and working with local contacts to ensure that investment projects progress smoothly to fruition.
- Develop and nurture an effective network of business contacts in the region in order to help deliver the MENA office’s aims and objectives. These include high-level contacts in local businesses and organisations, key DIT staff, Alumni of Welsh Universities and local contacts with an affinity for Wales. Build up a UAE/Welsh database of contacts.
- Ensure the delivery of effective marketing activity throughout the region via a number of channels including local press and the @WalesinMENA Twitter account. This activity is aimed at raising the awareness of Wales as an excellent place with which to trade, invest, study and visit as well as highlighting specific activity such as visiting trade delegations from Wales and notable success stories.
- Lead on the production of an annual activity plan which outlines the key activities for the year, a summary of the business approach to be adopted, growth areas and trends, and a forward look to help ensure that a strategic approach is maintained and operational targets are met.
- Manage the office’s activity and T&S budgets in accordance with Welsh Government policy.
- Line manage, support and develop a B3 officer (Deputy Regional Manager).
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm.
- Collaborating and Partnering- It requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- An ability to build, nurture and leverage a network of high-level contacts across a wide range of organisations in order to achieve business aims and objectives.
- Able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the make-up of the Welsh economy, its priority sectors and the Welsh Government’s International Strategy.
- Evidence of being a self-starter with the ability to juggle a broad range of tasks whilst maintaining a clear focus on delivery.
- A good knowledge of the MENA Region and its business environment.
- Experience of working in a similar role for a Regional Government or Regional Development Agency.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: non-negotiable salary of AED 28,085 per month inclusive, Grade D6 (L); performance bonus, five weeks vacation per annum, free on-site parking and free access to on-site swimming pool, gymnasium and sports facilities.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07.30 am until 2.30 pm on Sunday to Thursday.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Shortly after taking up post, the post holder will be required to travel back to Wales for a week of learning, development and relationship building.
In addition, following discussion with their line manager based in Wales) they will be able to build any specific L&D activity into their annual Staff Appraisal Plan and make use of the extensive range of L&D opportunities provided by staff at the Embassy in Dubai.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
1. A covering letter.
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 22nd July 2017.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large amount of applications the Embassy receives only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Dubai is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.