View Vacancy - Senior Business Development Manager Clean Growth (DEU20.430)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is now looking for a Senior Business Development Manager – Clean Growth to promote investment into the Northern Powerhouse region (UK). The Northern Powerhouse (NPH) is a government initiative, focused on increasing productive economic growth and improving quality of life for communities across this region of more than 15 million people and over one million private sector businesses. As the birthplace of the industrial revolution, the North has a long and rich history of innovation and entrepreneurship. Over a quarter of the UK’s total manufacturing output, and nearly a third of the UK’s total renewable electricity, comes from the North. If the Northern Powerhouse were a country, it would be amongst the biggest economies in Europe. This role will be an important part of that vision.
Working for the Northern Powerhouse (NPH) and the Department for International Trade (DIT) in Germany & The Netherlands you will lead on promoting Clean Growth investment from Germany and the Netherlands into the NPH in the United Kingdom. You will work closely with key stakeholders across government and with local partners to achieve this. This role will be based at the British Consulate in Düsseldorf, Germany and you will operate in the Netherlands as necessary.
DIT is the British government’s lead department for international trade and supports foreign investment into the United Kingdom and UK exporters entering international markets. This job offers the opportunity to work at the heart of the UK’s strategy to promote investment into the Northern Powerhouse in the UK from the Clean Growth Sector (e.g. offshore wind; energy systems & storage; hydrogen and related technologies). As part of the Clean Growth Team in Germany, you will lead in identifying and actively targeting potential investors into the NPH. This involves developing and managing a pipeline of investment projects and providing expert advice to potential investors looking to invest or expand in the region. In addition, an important part of your job will be providing expert insight from Germany & the Netherlands, on Clean Growth technologies to support the NPH develop its value proposition for Foreign Direct Investment.
The job offers much autonomy and freedom to set your own direction within the Clean Growth team, not least in cultivating key business contacts in business and government. Following the UK’s exit from the EU, you will be involved in working closely with businesses to understand the present and likely future impact on them.
You will work as part of a friendly and supportive team at DIT Germany and a wider network across Europe, with regular opportunities to travel. DIT Germany also provides a modern and flexible working environment with the opportunity to work partially from home.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Business Development: You will develop a robust pipeline of potential investment projects from new and existing investors into the NPH. You will engage directly with leading renewable technology companies to bring investment projects to a successful conclusion. You will work collaboratively with key government stakeholders to represent the interests of the NPH for the UK’s strategically managed key investors, by applying Key Account Management principles. You will use various channels to reach companies such as online, direct contact, events such as trade fairs and networking opportunities (e.g. inward or outward missions to the NPH), some of which you will also be responsible for organising independently, or as part of a team. In all interactions, your attention to detail and customer service approach will be excellent. Finally you will leverage DIT and UK Government marketing campaigns to support your business development activities and ensure that these campaigns bring the maximum benefit possible to the Midlands Engine.
- Market Analysis & Insight: As the NPH lead for Renewable Technology in Germany/NL. You will analyse the market for opportunities and trends relevant to increasing investment into the region. You will conduct market analysis through desk research and discussions with companies to understand, how the Renewable Technology market is developing and what opportunities exist for companies and for the UK economy. This analysis will be provided directly to companies to support their market entry decision. In addition, you will conduct analysis to support those within the British Government responsible for making policy recommendations and decisions.
- Promoting NPH: As a representative of the NPH you will carry out activities, engagements and events to promote the region and the UK as an investment location of choice. Such activities could include organising industry roundtables, webinars, preparing a presence at a Trade Show as well as acting as the point of contact for VIP visits/missions from NPH and ensuring there are company and senior level meetings in place.
- Stakeholder Management: In addition to building and maintaining strong working relations with NPH regional investment hubs & multipliers, you will ensure you are well connected to the regional sector specialists, DIT sector colleagues and specialists in UK/ Germany & Netherlands as well as the project management colleagues in the UK Investment Services Team (IST). Finally you will contribute to wider Embassy reporting on aspects such as trade and market access barriers.
- Fluency in English and German (written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Experience in Key Account Management and Business Development.
- Knowledge of Renewable Energy technologies and commercial and policy drivers behind them.
- Commercial experience in the relevant industries and/or Foreign Direct Investment work.
- Ability to draft succinct reports and provide briefing for generalist and specialist audiences, including for Ministers, often to very tight deadlines.
- Team player who can work on their own initiative and across virtual teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and be credible with the most senior business leaders.
- Working level knowledge of the key UK and German industrial and renewable sector specific policies.
- An understanding of international business or trade practice.
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Consulate-General, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the British Consulate-General’s positive working environment.
Visa/Passport requirements:Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate-General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.