View Vacancy - BK - Communications Manager - Campaigns, EO
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The British Embassy Bangkok is a large diplomatic mission of around 140 staff delivering a dynamic and rapidly expanding programme of activity in support of the UK’s objectives including on prosperity, trade, security, open societies, consular services and law enforcement. This is an exciting opportunity to join our diverse team.
As Communications Manager – Campaigns, you will lead on the planning, implementation and evaluation of communications campaigns, in support of Embassy policy objectives. In line with Government Communications Service (GCS) best practice, you will use audience insight to inform communications objectives and design effective campaign plans using a range of channels, including digital. You will lead on the evaluation of communications activity to measure effectiveness and ensure demonstrable outcomes.
Working alongside colleagues from the communications team, you will manage multi-channel communications campaigns covering a range of priority areas for the embassy, from soft power to international trade, geopolitics or climate change.
- You will support the Head of Communications in undertaking strategic planning - horizon scanning for communications opportunities and maintaining a calendar of communications activities and announcements for the short, medium and long term.
Identifying communications objectives
- You will work with colleagues from across the embassy to understand policy aims and to develop communications objectives and campaign plans to support these. You will ensure communications objectives are measurable and focus on outcomes not outputs – ie related to changing attitudes and/or behaviour.
Using audience insight
- You will use insight to identify the audience for campaigns and understand factors such as attitudes and beliefs, awareness and knowledge, media consumption habits, as well as motivations and barriers to behaviour change.
- Working with other communications colleagues, you will design and develop engaging content and messaging to reach target audiences, ranging from low/no cost social media content to marketing and events or PR opportunities.
- You will evaluate activity both on an ongoing basis and after completion, to maximise effectiveness and measure impact against the policy objectives. You will circulate evaluation highlight reports to senior leadership and share lessons learnt to inform and improve future communication activity.
RESOURCES MANAGED (staff and expenditure):
You will help to manage a limited budget for certain campaign activities such as events or social media advertising.
- Experience of planning and implementing communications campaigns
- Experience of insight and evaluation
- Experience creating digital and social media content
Language: Thai and English
Level of language required: Fluency in English (and preferably in Thai), with excellent writing skills.
- Be familiar with the Government Communications Service approach to campaign planning and the OASIS framework
- Understand the principles and application of behavioural theory, such as the EAST framework or COM-B model
- Graphic design and video editing skills
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary (will be abated for those not liable to tax), benefits, a leave entitlement, Health Insurance and comprehensive development programme based upon business need and individual staff requirements.
LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES: The British Embassy Bangkok encourages all staff to develop their capabilities, through both formal training (courses) and informal (job-shadowing, coaching, on-the-job training etc). The majority of our formal L&D opportunities are drawn from FCO resources. All staff are encouraged to share their skills and experience with colleagues, through informal training (‘lunch & learn’) or coaching/mentoring. All staff are eligible for 5 L&D days a year. As stated above, you will be required to complete the trade modules of the Diplomatic Academy upon arrival into the position.
This is a permanent, full time role - 36 hours/week, Monday to Friday. We are currently piloting hybrid working (some time working in the office, some time working from home) as we transition back to normal working practices, while ensuring the health and safety of our staff. You will be expected to spend some time out of the office, engaging with partners and stakeholders; some time in the office; and will be able to have the flexibility to work from home. If the context of the pandemic changes, the proportion of time spent at home / in office / in external engagements may change.
The Mission has a smarter working policy and is committed to offering flexible working patterns balanced with the operational requirements of the role. In crisis/emergency situations you may need to work as required to support the Mission response, sometimes on a shift pattern working which may result in unsociable hours and/or weekend working.
As an inclusive employer we are happy to discuss alternative working patterns at interview or at the point of any job offer.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain correct permit to work or work authorisation in Thailand in order to apply. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Embassy salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. Only shortlisted candidates for interview will be contacted. Interviewees will be assessed on the core competencies listed above. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified via the system in due time
Indicated start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
In terms of peak operation demand, work flexibly within the Section and within the Embassy
All staff will be expected to make a corporate contribution to the smooth running of the British Embassy either through a committee membership or another voluntary role to support the vision and values of the Embassy as outlined below.
BRITISH EMBASSY BANGKOK'S VISION & VALUES:
VISION: What do we want to build?
A better, safer, more prosperous world for Britons and Thais alike.
MISSION: How will we achieve this?
By championing UK values and delivering tangible benefits to individuals, businesses and society: through quality service, effective partnerships and local expertise.
- Collaboration We support each other and are inclusive
We work closely with others to deliver
- Empowerment We are innovative and adaptive
We achieve a healthy work-life balance, taking advantage of hybrid working
- Expertise We build on and champion our diverse skills and expertise
We draw on data, technology and evidence
- Respect We build trust and value differences
We invite and appreciate other perspectives
- Impact We take a strategic approach
We prioritise and are all clear on expectations
Please note that it is likely that any non-Thai national who is successful in securing a role within the Embassy will need to leave the country and re-enter with a specfic type of visa if currently living in Thailand or will need to apply for a visa before travelling here if currently based outside of Thailand. Whilst the Embassy can support you with this process, the costs involved will need to be met by the candidate
This opportunity is closed to applications.