View Vacancy - Political Advisor-C4, Colombo
"Note: It is mandatory for all applicants to complete the online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and competency questions. The applications which completed all required fields will only be thoroughly reviewed by us. Forms that are incomplete in any aspect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications and we will progress with the recruitment process as swiftly as possible. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application. However, under the given circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response. Please reach out to SAAD.Recruit@fcdo.gov.uk, if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of the job:
To lead and deliver political analysis, reporting and engagement in support of the High Commission’s Political team.
Roles and responsibilities:
- To lead analysis and reporting of developments and trends in Sri Lanka’s internal politics and their implications for UK policy. This will require objective and evidence based reporting and an analytical approach. The types of reports will range from high-level reports summarising political trends for a senior readership, to in-depth and detailed reports on specific issues e.g. constitutional amendments for subject matter experts.
- Take the same approach to provide analysis and reporting of developments in Sri Lanka’s foreign policy and regional affairs and their implications on UK foreign policy.
- To develop and manage the High Commission’s network with a broad range of political contacts in government, parliament and political parties as well as analysts and opinion formers. Prioritise, plan, co-ordinate and deliver the High Commission’s engagements with those contacts.
- To plan and deliver the High Commission’s engagement with provinces outside Colombo to fulfil the full range of UK objectives: political engagement, trade and investment and support to human rights and peace building.
- Support the delivery of visits by UK political figures to Sri Lanka and vice versa.
- Support the mission’s response to any crises through delivery of authoritative political advice and contributions to wider team-working.
- Support our Communications Team Leader in the delivery of the UK’s political messaging in print and social media and through speeches.
Language: Fluent in English and Sinhala.
Tamil language would be an added advantage.
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Sinhala (this will be tested at interview).
- A detailed and in depth knowledge and understanding of Sri Lankan politics, history and culture.
- An established network of political contacts in Sri Lanka, including in provinces outside of Colombo.
- Confidence to express ideas clearly and concisely. Credibility and personal impact to engage with senior UK/Sri Lankan political figures.
- Personal initiative, drive and ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team working skills.
- Strong planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Flexibility and resilience to deliver results under pressure. Creative thinking skills.
- It is essential to have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Building the capabilities of the team for political analysis and reporting and stakeholder management.
- Experience of working in an international context.
- Experience of external communications including media.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, starting salary will be LKR 200,234 + EPF 12% + ETF 3% per month. Other benefits include 13 month’s salary (pro-rated) and medical insurance coverage.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system. The High Commission takes pride in its organisational culture and its strong and diverse team. We offer leave entitlements as per Sri Lankan labour laws.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
Please note that applications will only be considered with (a) and (b):
(a) Complete the Online Application Form
(b) Complete the Motivation Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications received by midnight on 9th May 2021 (Sri Lanka Standard Time).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with. However, the status will be updated on the recruitment software which will be viewed by the applicant.
- The appointment will be subject to police and other checks including references, educational and professional.
- We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed.
Those who advance in the selection process will be interviewed based on the competencies above.
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
- The British High Commission in Colombo is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by The British High Commission in Colombo is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
- The successful candidate will be subject to reference checking and security clearances checks.
This opportunity is closed to applications.