View Vacancy - Science, Innovation and Policy Officer
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in Toronto is recruiting for the role of Science, Innovation and Policy Officer. This position is to fill a maternity leave.
With primary responsibility for the province of Ontario, the position will encourage high level science and innovation policy cooperation to benefit the UK, facilitating the exchange of knowledge between policymakers and the science community. Responsibilities include:
- Building science and innovation partnerships and collaborations between the UK and provincial and municipal governments. In particular, engaging influential stakeholders in government, academia and industry to deliver high-impact projects and commercial wins for the UK. This is anticipated to be the primary focus of work.
- Supporting the wider work of the UK in Canada network in setting the policy conditions for economic growth and encouraging innovation. It seeks to make best use of technology cooperation and investment to grow UK innovation potential.
This is an exciting opportunity that requires a mix of project management, policy analysis, and strategic stakeholder engagement. Reporting to the Head of the Energy, Science, Innovation Team at the High Commission in Ottawa, the candidate will work collaboratively with other policy groups within the British High Commission, the Canada network of Consulates General, British government departments, and the UK’s global Science and Innovation Network (SIN).
The successful candidate will be required to travel within Canada and internationally. There will be some out-of-hours work, including attendance at evening events.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Identify, develop, and deliver projects that support UK government objectives in Canada, including strengthening ties in science and innovation collaboration.
- Provide policy analysis and lobby to support UK government priorities within Ontario.
- Develop and maintain contacts in the economic, science and innovation community including government, NGOs, think-tanks and universities.
- Seek opportunities to promote UK economic growth and R&D potential, in collaboration with the UK Department for International Trade.
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years professional experience in public policy, economics, engineering, or science. Masters degree or equivalent experience would be considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills with ability to interact effectively with senior government officials, business leaders, scientists, and the public.
- Proven ability to work independently, multitask, and feel at ease networking at mid- to senior-level.
- Excellent presentation skills with ability to produce clear, concise written reports and a knack for talking to range of expert and non-subject expert audiences.
- Knowledge of government, policy, science and innovation in Ontario and Canada.
- Knowledge of the UK, including government, policy, and the science and innovation landscape would be an asset.
Start dates contingent on security clearance.
This opportunity is closed to applications.