View Vacancy - Residence Manager - HMA Residence, INTERNAL VACANCY
The British Embassy, Muscat has a vacancy for the position of Residence Manager – HMA Residence, Grade - A2 (L).
The successful applicant will manage the Ambassador’s Residence, the Embassy’s flagship venue for representational functions, reporting to the Ambassador and his Executive Assistant and manage the Embassy’s revenue raising, overseeing a range of activity to that end. The successful candidate will need to be able to work flexibly, including preparing/supervising evening (and occasionally weekend) events and when official guests are staying at the Residence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Upkeep of Residence and Grounds
Ensure that the general appearance and upkeep of the Residence and grounds is at all times fit for purpose. Rigorous attention to UK standards of cleanliness and hygiene, particularly in all food preparation and storage areas, is essential. Record any changes to the Inventories (general, art works, silver, linen etc) which may result from damage, deletions or additions. Work with the Corporate Services team, interfacing with contractors and Estates staff working at the Residence.
• Residence Staff
Line management of Residence staff, supervising the day-to-day work and ensuring morning and afternoon shifts are working effectively. Maintaining staff morale, productivity and team work and investing in their development. Managing duty rosters and records of annual leave, sick leave, mileage and overtime etc and completing Mid and End of Term Reviews.
Prepare the format and organizational aspects ahead of time and assist the EA in preparation and management of guest lists, entertainment forward look, sending of invitations, and managing the Ambassador’s contacts list. As required, be on hand at the start of dinners and other official events (there is no requirement to attend smaller ones). Managing stocks before and after and maintaining close contact with the Embassy / assisting the EA with large scale events such as the Queen’s Birthday Party, Remembrance Day and the annual Carols event.
Liaising daily with the Ambassador’s EA to ensure all diaries are up to date and consistent, and that together correspondence and other business relevant to the smooth running of the Residence is in good order. Hold the cash imprest for the Residence and account for all spend for this and any Government Procurement Cards are completed within the required timescales and in line with FCO and Post procurement rules.
• Official Guests
Ensure accommodation is properly prepared for official guests, and ensure a high standard of customer service during their stay.
• Devising a revenue strategy
Leading Embassy work to plan how best to make revenue from its assets taking into account the Embassy’s unique function and profile;
• Marketing the Embassy’s assets
Making known the Embassy’s offer to appropriate clients and contacts and liaising with them to provide a service that supports at all times the Embassy’s work and reputation.
• Managing income generation and event activity
Leading on the organisation and delivery of events and other activity. Responsible for the administration of these events, to include preparing quotations for events, raising invoices for external parties (including Partners Across Government), processing supplier invoices, arranging of event alcohol licences (if required), liaising with event organisers for guest lists and all necessary security arrangements and working with other Embassy departments to ensure all event requirements are met.
The candidate will need to demonstrate the following competencies during the interview:
• Managing a Quality Service: People, who are effective in this area plan, organise and manage their time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service.
• Leading and Communicating: Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
• Delivering Value for Money: The efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. Seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
• Collaborating and Partnering: Requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
• Fluent communication skills in English language (both Written and Spoken)
• Proven work experience in relevant field
• Flexibility with working hours
• Ability to work independently and remain motivated
• Strong organisational and multitasking skills with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
• Active listening skills and effective communication skills
• The ability to work within a team
• Basic financial handling
• Facilities Management experience
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for the role, including: salary of 800 Omani Riyals per month inclusive of all allowances; recreational facilities including a swimming pool and social club.
Normal working hours for this position is 35 hours per week (0900 – 1600 hrs) with some flexibility.
The Embassy has excellent working conditions and recreational facilities including a swimming pool and social club. There is a holiday entitlement of 30 days per year (pro rated) following successful completion of a 3 month probation period. Holidays that have already been booked will be honoured. There are also national holidays determined annually by the Embassy which usually total 14 days per year.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. A covering letter.
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 24 February 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Telephone applications and enquiries will not be accepted.
The successful applicant's employment will only be confirmed after the completion of any security clearance/checks. The checks can take several weeks to complete and the applicant will only be employed if the UK security clearance is granted.
The British Embassy Muscat is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Omani Employment Law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.