View Vacancy - SH - Senior Trade & Investment Officer, Retail & Consumer B3(L)
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK government agency responsible for championing international business, helping UK based businesses succeed globally, and helping international businesses invest in the UK.
China is at the vanguard of new ways of working across DIT’s global operations and is an extremely busy part of the Embassy operation wholly focused on enhancing the business relationship between UK and China. DIT China is in the final stages of transforming its organisational structure and culture to focus on strategic high value trade and investment opportunities in five priority sectors, one of which is Consumer, Creative and Education (CCE).
This is an exciting opportunity at the forefront of the British Government’s growth agenda, being part of a small team responsible for developing and working with internal and external partners such as the DIT HQ Retail Team and the China Britain Business Council (CBBC) to deliver targeted campaigns to help UK retailers win more business in China and to secure new and increased investment from China into the UK.
Reporting to the Head of Consumer & Retail, the successful candidate will, through targeted lead generation, business development, and relationship management, deliver trade and investment objectives in line with the sector vision. He/ She will manage a mixed portfolio of trade and inward investment projects from inception to completion in conjunction with other team members, qualify and develop new projects, develop client relationships, and engage private and public sector stakeholders in the process and ensure clients’ needs are effectively met. The jobholder will work closely with DIT HQ and other partners to develop a sustainable pipeline of trade and inward investment project.
The jobholder will also proactively generate and project manage leads and projects that result in UK retailers exporting and investing in China (business wins) and inward investment projects by Chinese companies into the UK (FDI wins) to contribute to DIT’s sector objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Working closely with the GREAT Marketing team, the jobholder will run a range of campaigns and activities to identify business opportunities and to engage/ link UK and Chinese companies in order to ensure the sector targets are met. Key to the role will be mapping, developing, and creating strong working relationships with both key retail channels to market such as shopping malls, separtment stores, distributors and agents, e-commerce platforms, and key Chinese and UK retailers already operating in China or looking to export for the first time.
This role will be proactive in generating new business, project managing both trade and investment opportunities, relationship managing key retail contacts in China and the UK, managing and engaging a range of partners and stakeholders, managing a virtual team of contacts, and being involved in inward and outward missions by UK and Chinese companies.
***For the purpose of this role, Retail covers online (e-commerce) and offline and is broad ranging in its scope, covering apparel, fashion, shoes, accessories, luxury, home and lifestyle, sports, beauty and cosmetics, and hotels and hospitality.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Achieve challenging commercial outcomes by working with the Head of Consumer Industries and HQ Team in London, CBBC, and the GREAT Team to design and deliver trade and investment sector campaigns in line with sector strategies. Proactively identify key Chinese channels to market and key retailers from across the sector and develop trade and investment projects, including maintaining strategic relationships and developing CRM plans as required. Project manage business development campaigns, events and meetings to raise awareness of UK opportunities and achieve challenging KPIs.
- Undertake complex market research, process and present relevant market intelligence. Identify and research opportunities to build relationships with key companies and retail channels in China and the UK, including intermediaries, trade associations, and government departments in order to understand their business intentions and needs as well as the general business environment.
- Plan, manage, and follow up on high level visits and events that contribute to sector targets and address business environment and market access issues. Develop and deliver important visit programmes by Chinese companies to the UK and UK companies to China that contribute to sector targets.
- Manage knowledge transfer and introductions to CBBC to support them achieving their targets. Commission CBBC input to HVO-related and other industry campaigns, as well as management of debriefing and two-way information sharing.
- Good knowledge of China and UK’s retail sector. Experience of working with Chinese retail companies, and with demonstrable sales experience.
- Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience/ qualification.
- Knowledge of internet research, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Fluent in English and Mandarin, both written and spoken.
- Strong existing networks in retail sector preferred.
- Demonstrable sales experience preferably gained in an international business-to-business sales environment.
- Knowledge of CRM would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate will be capable now or in the future of displaying the following competencies:
- Creative: Thinks creatively in order to devise new solutions in response to business challenges; identifies new opportunities; generates new ideas for clients; anticipates client needs.
- Collaborative: Works as a pro active team member, sharing information and expertise; encourages and supports other team members; provides direction for teams; responds positively to others contributions.
- Commercially Aware: Has business acumen; identifies commercial opportunities; tests and analyses opportunities; enables teams to exploit them.
- Resourceful: Prioritises multiple tasks and project manages effectively in a fast moving, client-driven environment; works through project problems to ensure programmes continue as planned.
- Results Driven: Meets deadlines and achieves objectives and encourages others to do so; has a drive to succeed; meets and exceeds targets; takes responsibility; maintains high standard of work; ensures objectives (individual or team) contribute to organisational goals.
- Engaging: Communicates effectively and creates relationships with people, regardless of their role; adapts communications to audience needs; builds and maintains relationships with contacts from different cultural or corporate environments.
- Flexible: Adapts to a rapidly changing environment; copes well with the unexpected; takes pragmatic not perfectionist approach to getting things done.
We are an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) is CNY 17,670/ month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 24,529/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase of the selection process. To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.