View Vacancy - Science&Innovation Officer (Ref.:CHEB079)
The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Science & Innovation Officer to work at Post for the UK Science and Innovation Network, with main duties: to lead on collaboration and excellence projects and open up opportunities for the UK with R&D performing companies; to monitor and report on policy developments in Switzerland; to co-ordinate post Science & Innovation component for new prosperity and trading agreements; to build a sound network of key S&I players in country; to support the wider SIN Europe where appropriate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Academic collaborations and corporate R&D:
- Lead on science projects involving: programme development, managing stakeholders and recruiting participants, promotion, budgeting and evaluation;
- Work with DIT to raise awareness of UK capabilities and expertise and develop relationship with R&D performing companies with a view to encourage direct investments;
- Analysis and horizon scanning to identify new high potential areas for bilateral and multilateral S&I collaborations, engaging with stakeholders and demonstrating added value of working with Switzerland/UK;
- Securing funding from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills Global Challenge Fund.
Reporting and policy work:
- Produce in-depth reports on science and innovation policy and technological developments in Switzerland meeting UK stakeholders’ needs, including ministerial briefings. In particular, focusing on Science&Innovation elements in the shaping of the bilateral relationship.
Influencing and Informing:
- Ensure that UK S&I policy and objectives are well recognised by Swiss academics, funding agencies and ERI policy arena, and that SIN is an integral part of the embassy to deliver wider prosperity objectives, particularly developing synergies with DIT. Represent UK Science at key events on a regular basis and establish a sound network of key S&I players in country.
The ideal candidate must have the ability to work under pressure both independently and as part of a cohesive team, with minimum supervision. He/she must have very strong organisational skills, excellent budget management skills with strong attention to detail and the ability and flexibility to react quickly to changing priorities by communicating and influencing in a properly manner.
The jobholder must have the ability to deliver office processes, optimise the daily activities strategic awareness, working with others particularly working with government bodies and policy maker. It is expected the person to take ownership of the delivery of funded projects e.g: SIN Global Project Fund and tasks of the team, and at the same time show interest and ambition in developing.
The successful candidate will be expected to hold proven experience with budget management, events and international mission organisation. He/she must have advanced computer literacy, Proficient level in both spoken and written English, German and /or French.
- Science or engineering background, understand innovation mechanisms;
- Understanding the Swiss science and innovation landscape;
- Understanding of the UK science and innovation landscape.
This is a part-time position of 32 hours per week, subject to a probation period of 3 months. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-lieu for extra hours worked.
Monthly salary for this position is 5,023CHF gross, payable 13 times a year.
The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys an average of 14 public holidays per year.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Switzerland. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Berne are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Swiss employment law.
Please be advised that the Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.