View Vacancy - Gardener and Maintenance Supervisor
The British High Commission is looking for a person experienced in gardening and property maintenance to join our busy and vibrant team. They will be responsible for the maintenance of the High Commissioner’s Residence including its grounds and garden. These, together, form an important official entertainment asset for the High Commission.
The successful candidate will be a keen gardener who is environmentally aware. He/she will also be skilled and confident in carrying out basic property maintenance. He/she will also be responsible for liaising with and supervising external contractors for specialised and preventative maintenance according to a routine schedule
Main purpose of job:
- Be responsible for the upkeep of the Residence gardens and ground.
- Supervise all maintenance work carried out at the High Commissioner’s Residence by Contractors & Service Providers.
- Peform general estate maintenance and tasks, corresponding with experience and skill
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Grounds & Garden
- Vegetation control, Cutting and edging lawns, weeding and maintaining flower / plant beds as necessary
- Using the mulcher and looking after the composting set-up
- Sweeping and weeding of paths and the driveway as necessary
- Cleaning and maintenance of garden machinery and equipment
- The successful candidate will be skilled and confident in carrying out basic and routine building-related maintenance.
- They will also be responsible for liaising with and supervising external contractors for specialised and preventative maintenance according to a routine schedule.
- The role shall also require some driving duties when the BHC driver is on leave.
- Experience in maintenance work and an eye for detail;
- Gardening/Landscaping experience and / or knowledge and interest in plants
- Strong organisational skills. Experience in managing own workload with minimal oversight – a self starter
- Confidence, flexibility and ability to cope under pressure and with changing priorities.
- Good oral and written English is essential
- Knowledge of IT desirable
- Knowledge and interest in plants and trees
- Excellent customer care skills; ability to respond to a range of customer needs and cultivate strong local relationships;
- Driving Licence would be an advantage
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Victoria are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Seychelles.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Seychelles will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.