View Vacancy - Trade Officer - B3
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To support the British High Commission’s Trade Policy team on policy and administration related tasks. You will be a crucial part of friendly and growing team at a critical time for the UK and India’s trading relationship.
The Trade Policy Team leads on the UK-India bilateral trade relationship, providing analysis, direction and reporting, as well as engaging with key stakeholders in business, the UK government and the Government of India. The job holder will need to be flexible in responding to changes in scope and priorities of the trade policy team.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce the Monthly Trade Report, the team’s flagship analysis of trade and trade policy developments in India. The Report is a key document that is shared at a cross-HMG level to inform advice and action across the trade policy network at Post and HQ in the UK.
- Support the Trade Policy Adviser and other senior members of the team on their strategic policy and work and their interaction with the Government of India and other key stakeholders. This will include providing analysis for policy papers as required, as well as assisting in their engagements with stakeholders.
- Provide organisational assistance for capacity building work with the Government of India on trade-related areas. This will include organising the bilateral visits of senior officials from the UK to India and vice versa. It will also mean engaging with the relevant Government of India departments.
- Maintaining, on a common platform, up-to-date information on key UK-India trade statistics, as well as briefings for Ministers and HQ in the UK.
- Support the team on organisation of visits and drafting of briefings for Ministers and senior UK officials. This will also include assisting with UK-India bilateral forums like the Joint Economic and Trade Committee and other events/conferences when required.
WHAT WE DO
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is responsible for promoting British interests overseas and for supporting British citizens and businesses around the globe. The British High Commission, New Delhi, part of the FCO, is responsible for managing all aspects of the relationship between the United Kingdom and India.
The post-holder, who will report to the senior Trade Policy Adviser, will sit in the Trade Policy team which falls within the Economic & Trade Policy Group. The Group leads on the overall economic and financial relationship between the UK and the Government of India, and the trade policy team leads specifically on policy level dialogue with India on the current and future trade and investment relationship between the two countries. The Trade Policy team is committed to providing expert, creative and dynamic thinking on key issues in policy and market access, as well as to being a great place to work.
Graduate in Economics, International Relations or other allied fields.
- Candidate should have 2- 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Basic understanding of economics required; trade related background would be preferred.
- Prior experience in writing economic reports.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with ability to absorb and relay information efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a good track record as a team player.
- Excellent ability to deliver on tight deadlines and turn around requests efficiently.
- Candidate should be proactive, a self-starter and have the ability to adapt to changes.
- Experience in interacting with a variety of stakeholders and working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Some experience in programme management would be a plus.
- Prior experience in providing organisation support to policy teams preferable.
Length of Contract : 2 Years
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. For other than British High Commission candidates, Salary will be Rs. 49635 per month together with a 12% provident fund and 6% Special Allowance.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
- Completed the Online Job Application Form
- Attach a detailed CV
- Attach appraisal forms of last two years ( Internal Candidates only).
Please note :
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.