View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Advisor - Life Sciences
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. See www.gov.uk/DIT for further information.
The DIT network in the USA is run from headquarters in New York, and a further eight posts across the US market. This post is based at the British Consulate General in San Francisco, CA.
The position will focus on the life sciences sector. We define life sciences as comprising two main sub-sectors: 1) biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, 2) healthcare (including medical devices, diagnostics and health IT).
Reporting to the Vice Consul for Life Sciences, the position presents an opportunity to play a central role in a campaign to grow British life science exports to the US, as well as to support the flow of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the UK. The candidate will manage an array of projects, build relationships with dozens of innovative British companies, and create tools to match UK capabilities with US opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage strategic relationships with top British companies, providing advice and positioning them to secure large business deals in the US.
- Deliver a target number of FDI successes to the UK and a target value of exports from the UK each year.
- Work with the DIT Life Sciences Organisation, UK business leaders, trade associations and other key partners to identify the most innovative UK life science companies with the potential to export to the US.
- Lead projects – for example, campaigns focused on manufacturing, oncology and digital health – involving the DIT US Life Sciences team (20 team members).
- Plan and deliver activities – such as trade missions, seminars, webinars, and receptions – to promote the UK’s strengths in the LS sector.
- Review opportunities for R&D collaborations, corporate partnerships, venture investment generated by the US Life Sciences team and match with UK capabilities.
- Craft messages for a US audience around the benefits of doing business with UK life science companies.
- Serve as a source of expertise on key trends and the strategic priorities of the life sciences industry in the UK.
- Assist with business planning and other functions that could help grow exports from the UK to the US.
- Assist with consular support services in times of crisis.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, ideally focused on life sciences or healthcare.
- Knowledge of the US life sciences or healthcare business environment
- 6-8 years professional experience in international business, project management and/or marketing, preferably in the life sciences or healthcare sector
- Strong client management experience
- Deliver a target number of Inward Investment successes to the UK and an agreed value of Export Wins from the UK.
- Excellent research, analysis and writing skills – with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries
- Skilled at responding to ad hoc requests at short notice using databases and other information sources
- Proactive self-starter, able to prioritise and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Attention to detail and good follow up discipline
- Committed team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and often under tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) is essential
- Valid driver’s license; the ability to attend official functions outside of office hours; and the ability to undertake domestic and international air travel, including overnight stays.
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to attend official functions outside of office hours and required to undertake domestic (US) travel between 5-10% of the time. A limited amount of international travel may also be required.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The salary for this position is $65,416 annualized. Actual salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment. Individuals who are not US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 6 March 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.