View Vacancy - RoK - DIT DSO Defence Manager
The British Embassy’s Defence and Security Organisation is responsible for the GtoG relationship on Defence Equipment matters with the RoK Government and Armed Forces. DSO is also responsible for supporting the British defence and security industry in Korea. We work closely with the UK Ministry of Defence and other UK government departments.
The team is expanding to increase its coverage of the Korean defence market – requirements, acquisition budgets and programmes – and to deepen its relationships with Korean stakeholders. The successful candidate will be expected to develop or improve their knowledge of the Korean defence sector. Reporting to the senior defence manager you will be responsible for identifying and cultivating opportunities for UK companies, and engaging with a wide variety of stakeholders in the Korean government, private sector, academia and think tanks. You will provide high quality advice to UK companies and to the wider DSO team based in London. You will help plan and deliver key events, including the visits of Korean defence delegations to the UK and of UK senior officials to Korea.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and support to UK companies in the defence sector, including ROK Defence Acquisition System and procedure
- Organise high-level GtoG events/visits from/to the UK such as Defence JETCO, Farnborough Airshow, DSEi, SADEX and MADEX, and conferences
- Liaise with key stakeholders - including the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Agency for Defense Development, Korea Institute for Defense Development and ROK defence industry - to support UK companies doing business in Korea
- Support First Secretary Defence & Security and Senior Manager Defence on defence sector issues, providing research and general administrative support including budget and resource monitoring
- Liaise with the embassy defence section for wider defence team activities.
- Support wider embassy activity, such as crisis team work, and participate in one of the embassy’s committees
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Korean
- Proven track record and confidence in engaging with senior level business and government contacts
- A self starter who can work flexibly on his/her own initiative, or with others as part of a cross cutting embassy team
- Event and customer management skills
- A flexible team player with a willingness to take part in wider Department for International Trade projects and activities, both for self development and in support of embassy objectives
- Strong IT literacy
- Knowledge and / or experience of the defence sector in government organisation or defence industries
- Project management and budget management skills
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. The applicant must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Korea in order to apply. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Seoul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Korean employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.