View Vacancy - Political Officer
Main purpose of job:
To support in the production of high quality analysis and reporting on the domestic political and security situations in Mexico, both for an internal embassy audience and for stakeholders in London. To support the embassy’s political engagement strategy. To organise or contribute to the organisation of visits to the UK or Mexico and provide briefings on Mexico’s domestic political situation to external visitors.
Roles and responsibilities:
The British Embassy in Mexico City is looking for a Political Officer to support the work on primarily domestic politics, but also on issues of security, crime, policing, justice and development. Working as part of the Political and Economic Team, this role offers the job holder access to a wide range of political and project work. This job lies at the heart of building the UK-Mexico relationship, through understanding the Mexican political context..
There is considerable potential for the job holder to use and expand his/her networking skills to seek ways in which the UK and Mexico can worktogether and better understand each other on issues such as cyber security, child exploitation, justice and policing. You as the jobholder will be a professional able to move from project work on security, to engineer visits and draft reports on political Mexican affairs, while supporting the domestic affairs team.
We are looking for an individual who is self-driven, creative but also willing to adapt to the requirements of the position which may vary during your time at the Embassy.
You will work under the direction of the Embassy’s Senior Political Analyst. The role will include engaging extensively with other team and staff members. The main functions of the team include analysis, reporting, engaging widely with external contacts and manage some programme activity. There will be regular contact with Mexican institutions to promote British government positions and build mutual understanding.
All employees in the Embassy network are expected, as part of their job to contribute towards the corporate activity organisation
- Bachelor degree in political science or a related field.
- Relevant work experience in political practice and/or analysis.
- Solid understanding of Mexico’s political and security situation.
- Oral and writen ability to analyse and explore issues in depth and to communicate information and your analysis clearly.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Spanish
- Good contacts within the Mexican system, particularly in the areas of security, policing, justice and cyber.
- Previous experience working in the government/political sector, NGOs or political consultancy.
- Previous professional experience of political risk analysis or governmental affairs.
- Education to postgraduate level in a relevant subject (Political Science, International Relations, Sociology or Economics).
- Medical Insurance
- 50% Holiday Bonus
- 13th Month salary
- 14 days of public holidays.
This opportunity is closed to applications.