View Vacancy - BALI - Consular Assistant A2
The British Embassy in Jakarta is part of a world-wide network of 230 posts, representing British political, defence, economic, trade, and consular interests around the world. We are currently looking to recruit a Consular Assistant at our Consulate in Bali.
Are you a strong team player who likes working with the public? Do you enjoy challenges and set consistently high standards of customer service? If so, we’d like you to join our small, busy Consular Team in Bali. Reporting to the Vice-Consul, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing Consular assistance and notarial services to British nationals in Bali and Lombok.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Vice Consul and Pro Consul in assisting British nationals in distress across the full range of issues including hospitalisation, accidents, victims of crime, deaths, arrests and detentions. Liaison with partners and local authorities about cases.
- Notarial and documentary services work, including preparing documents, liaising with customers and local authorities.
- General administration and support duties, including updating the online consular casework system, online appointment system, accounting for consular fee income, office maintenance, payment of bills and basic accounts work.
- Responsibility for responding to public enquiries, including face-to-face, on the telephone and email/written correspondence by providing advice and assistance in accordance with Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) consular policy.
- Processing and production of Emergency Travel Documents.
- Liaison with the consular warden network, and other ad hoc tasks as requested.
- Approachable and empathetic with excellent listening and interpersonal skills. The ability to deal sensitively with difficult situations and people in distress.
- A quick learner able to follow procedures and guidelines in making judgements and solving problems. Good attention to detail.
- Strong IT skills, including using Microsoft Office programmes.
- A good team player able to work flexibly within a small team
- Strong organisational, prioritisation and time management skills. Able to work under pressure with limited supervision.
- Fluent Bahasa Indonesia and excellent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- For candidates with English as a second language, certification at IELTS (or equivalent) level 7 or higher within the last 2 years is required. All skill areas (Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading) must be IELTS score 6.5 or higher.
- Ability to travel within Indonesia and occasionally internationally as needed.
- Willingness to work additional hours during specific crisis situations (sometimes on a shift pattern working unsociable hours).
- Experience of a similar role in another Embassy, NGO or international organization would be an advantage
- Previous experience working with the public in a customer service role
- Experience of living in, or understanding of the UK.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package including:
- Competitive salary
- Leave: 25 days per year
- Medical benefit (medical insurance)
- Access to extensive learning and development opportunities
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. Applicants must have work authorisation for Indonesia in order to apply. Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. In relation to this, the successful candidate will need to arrange for his/her own Police Certificate.
Deadline for applications is 8 March and interviews will take place in Bali on 23 or 24 March.
We regret to advise that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This opportunity is closed to applications.